Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing methods: Crutch or tool? >

Piecing methods: Crutch or tool?

Piecing methods: Crutch or tool?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM

I am an intermediate piecer. I find points a real challenge, who wants to lose their point? My question is do you think that using paper piecing or cutting the pieces slightly larger and truing the block to size is a crutch? Would using the usual method make me a better piecer over time?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Use whatever tool necessary to get the results you want!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM

It's not how you get there, that counts. It's the final results, that do. And you are the only person, required to be happy with both. That's my philosophy and I am unanimous.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM

I would say to use whatever method you develop for yourself to acheive the results that please you. Your unique style. There aren't any hard and fast rules in the creation of your quilts which is a good thing!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM

When some one is admiring your quilt they are not gonna ask if you did it the hard way. They are only gonna admire the results. I do make my pieces larger and them square them to size. Try as I can very few of my seams are perfect quarter inches. LOL. To me quilting should be fun. I love to use the easiet most efficient methods. Thats why I love the ideas from this board.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Do whatever floats your boat!
being frustrated with piecing and not happy with your results Just gives you stress!
quilting should be relaxing and FUN!
Now I do think that doing it the hard way you will get better over time, If you stick with it!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator

no method that works is a crutch.

should someone be foolish enough to fuss about your methods, remind them of the following:

there are entire lines of rulers (designed and sold for very high prices by world-famous and highly respected quilters) that require the user to make it "wrong" and then trim to "right".

soooooo, you are in very good company. ;-) :thumbup:
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

they are not crutches...they are techniques and everyone has their own favorite techniques to use. there should not be any negative (thoughts toward) using tools available and using different techniques...
and paper piecing a crutch??? have you seen some of the paper pieced designs out there???oh my goodness...those types of crutches i could only dream. it allows you to accomplish blocks that would not be possible using basic piecing techniques and takes practice to get beyond a beginner block so paper piecing is anything but a 'crutch'
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM

I used to have a problem with points and getting my seams to match up. It was so frustrating. Then I discovered several things that have changed how my quilts turn out. I became friends (or at least good acquaintances) with the rotary cutter. I use what I call quick piecing, also called strip piecing, whenever I can. I also sew all triangles using the Half Square Triangle method. Now my triangles have points, my seams match up, and life is good.

Are these cutting techniques considered crutches? I would say a resounding NO. Use whatever technique gives you the results you're looking for.

And if a point happens to get cut off, you tell everyone that you meant for that to happen. It's called creative license. :)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all of the input. Really wanted to hear what everyones take was on the methods. I feel like I really got the "point". How many places can you go that the answer is..."If it feels good do it!"