Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern for crutch bag >

Pattern for crutch bag

Pattern for crutch bag

Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Pattern for crutch bag

My DGD will be having knee surgery next week and will be using crutches for a while. I want to make her something to attach to her crutches so she won't have to carry a purse. Need for phone and essentials. I have seen a few on the internet but couldn't find a cute, easy to understand pattern. She is 16 so it has to be cool looking for when she returns to school. I know you ladies will come up with some wonderful ideas for me.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM

As someone who used those darn things for several months, I thought you might want to reconsider attaching anything to the crutches. Crutches can be very awkward and anything bumping against them during walking can throw the user off. I'd suggest a backpack which would be more balanced and less chance of causing a fall.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Did you see this one?
https://sewingforlife.wordpress.com/...h-bag-project/
You should wait until she gets her crutches to get the exact sizing for the bag. You could also use any small flat bag pattern that you had. Make sure it fits within the crutch and doesn't stick out on any side. Attach Velcro to the top to hook it onto the crutch. Also need ties or Velcro for the bottom corners so it doesn't swing and interfere when she actually is using the crutch. Hope she has a speedy recovery.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy View Post
As someone who used those darn things for several months, I thought you might want to reconsider attaching anything to the crutches. Crutches can be very awkward and anything bumping against them during walking can throw the user off. I'd suggest a backpack which would be more balanced and less chance of causing a fall.
I second this! I was on crutches for 9 weeks and anything carried or hanging on them thru me off! Also, check with her school, they might arrange for her to have a buddy in each class to carry her stuff. MY DD had that when she was temporarily disabled
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Paper Princess has the perfect bag for crutches. It has velcro at several places to keep it taut.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I agree. When I walk with my cane carrying anything in the same hand, it is quite bumpy. So I have started using a backpack for a purse.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM

I agree. Backpack would be better.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM

I agree with a backpack ...
Old 11-04-2014, 03:24 PM

I also agree that a backpack would be better for her and at the same time very cool!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM

I've also used crutches and also agree with not attaching anything to them. Years ago, 'fanny packs' were popular and many people wore them in front, instead of behind. Would she consider wearing something like that?