Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid Arm Quilt Machine Set Up In Toy Hauler????? >

Mid Arm Quilt Machine Set Up In Toy Hauler?????

Mid Arm Quilt Machine Set Up In Toy Hauler?????

Old 12-01-2015, 05:56 AM

Default Mid Arm Quilt Machine Set Up In Toy Hauler?????

I know some of you might think this is a dumb question but I major in dumb.

I know that many ladies and perhaps a few men quilt in an RV or travel trailer. I have a friend that her and her husband have a 42' toy hauler and she sets her sewing machine up in the back room part. Works out great for her.

My question is has anyone ever seen anyone that had set up their mid-arm quilting machine frame up in a toy hauler? My Block Rockit 15" machine sits on an 8 1/2' Grace SR2 frame and would fit in a large toy hauler along with my sewing machine. It would be on rollers so that it could be moved back and forth as needed. If I ever went full time RV'ing I would want to take my quilt frame with me if possible.

In all my research I haven't found where anyone has done this.

Anybody know of one.

David
Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I have very seldom taken my Bernina with me on vacation. No time to sew.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

i would be afraid of what the vibration would do to the machine
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

With my longarm, it's very important that the frame be level and steady. The bolts need to be tightened after leveling. If you are planning to be in the same place for long periods of time, perhaps you could spend the time to steady the frame after each move, but I don't think you could assure the frame's integrity if it's constantly being moved. You would also want to protect the head of the machine while you're driving down the road. If it were me, I might take along a sewing machine and work on tops, but I would wait until I got home for the quilting.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I agree with dunster. Not only that but lord forbid you'd be rear-ended. I would not chance it. One thing to take a machine to piece another to actually long arm. When I go on vacation, I take a couple go bags for hexies or yo yos. I usually have to much fun meeting up with family and friends.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 AM

Not only what Dunster said, but if you are using a toy hauler, I am assuming you have off road vehicles, which means dust, sand, etc. drifting in the air, as toys come and go from camp. That can get in the motor and other places and cause havoc with the machine resulting in $$$ repairs. (Just another thought.)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM

I agree with the others - the rear end of a camping trailer is the area with the most bounce when traveling down the road - pretty hard on the machine and frame. Maybe you could look at one of the sitdown machines?
We RV a lot but not full time, if we did I would have to figure out some way to take my machines too!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM

I do take my regular sewing machine with me on trips longer than a week or two when I plan on having electrical hookups (we dry camp a lot too). However I store my machine under the bed which is next to the hitch, the smoothest place in the trailer or in the back seat of the truck. Even there, I find my notions are quite jumbled up in their box that sits next to it. I would not want to store a mid arm or frame at the back of a toy hauler due to the excessive vibration. Is there a place to store the setup near the hitch or immediately above the axles? When you set up camp you could move it to the back for working. Obviously this wouldn't work if you move every day, but it might work if you are staying in one place for a while (snowbird maybe?).

I would second the recommendation to look at a sitdown machine. They pull out of their table easily and don't take much setup. If I was going to be staying somewhere for 2-3 months, I would certainly try taking my Handi Quilter Sweet 16 sitdown. For the trip durations we are looking at now (maximum a month), I just piece on the road and quilt when I get home.

BTW, for those who can't imagine taking a machine on a camping vacation, I really do use mine on those rainy or cold days that seem to come on all my trips. Before we retired, our trips were 1-2 weeks long, generally staying in one place 4-5 days at a time. Now our trips are 1-4 weeks long, and they include early spring and late fall when the sun goes down early. Sewing is much better for me than watching TV. I even have a hand crank Singer 201 that I have taken on long trips where we don't plan on electricity. Now that is an attention getter, sitting at a folding table under the awning and enjoying my work.

Pam
Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i would be afraid of what the vibration would do to the machine
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I agree with dunster. Not only that but lord forbid you'd be rear-ended. I would not chance it. One thing to take a machine to piece another to actually long arm. When I go on vacation, I take a couple go bags for hexies or yo yos. I usually have to much fun meeting up with family and friends.
Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Not only what Dunster said, but if you are using a toy hauler, I am assuming you have off road vehicles, which means dust, sand, etc. drifting in the air, as toys come and go from camp. That can get in the motor and other places and cause havoc with the machine resulting in $$$ repairs. (Just another thought.)
Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I do take my regular sewing machine with me on trips longer than a week or two when I plan on having electrical hookups (we dry camp a lot too). However I store my machine under the bed which is next to the hitch, the smoothest place in the trailer or in the back seat of the truck. Even there, I find my notions are quite jumbled up in their box that sits next to it. I would not want to store a mid arm or frame at the back of a toy hauler due to the excessive vibration. Is there a place to store the setup near the hitch or immediately above the axles? When you set up camp you could move it to the back for working. Obviously this wouldn't work if you move every day, but it might work if you are staying in one place for a while (snowbird maybe?).

I would second the recommendation to look at a sitdown machine. They pull out of their table easily and don't take much setup. If I was going to be staying somewhere for 2-3 months, I would certainly try taking my Handi Quilter Sweet 16 sitdown. For the trip durations we are looking at now (maximum a month), I just piece on the road and quilt when I get home.

BTW, for those who can't imagine taking a machine on a camping vacation, I really do use mine on those rainy or cold days that seem to come on all my trips. Before we retired, our trips were 1-2 weeks long, generally staying in one place 4-5 days at a time. Now our trips are 1-4 weeks long, and they include early spring and late fall when the sun goes down early. Sewing is much better for me than watching TV. I even have a hand crank Singer 201 that I have taken on long trips where we don't plan on electricity. Now that is an attention getter, sitting at a folding table under the awning and enjoying my work.

Pam
That sums up my thoughts.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM

If your set up and not going anywhere it would be fine. But if your traveling no! The bounce back there is pretty hard and does a bit of damage to more sensitive items not heavily strapped in or packed. You would need to take your machine off and wrap it up and probably store it up front in the front bedroom that is the softest ride as it is over the truck axel That is where I store anything electronic or sensative when we go down the road in ours. Things can really get damaged in the back if sensitive to vibration.

So you would need to decide how to handle it and how often you would be moving and traveling. You would need to relevel after every move as you seldom end up set on a perfectly level spot. Then unpack your machine and remount it. You would not be able to just leave it set up while you move and would have to really secure the frame to the tie downs so it would not move around either.