Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: This might be a dumb question, but......

Thank you for the responses everyone, and makes me feel like it wasn't such a dumb question after all lol.
    ​Krysti

Yep, I put a layer on the board then a layer of batting. Works great!

I second Bellaboo's suggestion. I followed Sharon's instructions but used a $10. Oak TV tray from Wal-mart. It sits at an angle to wherever I am working so I can just turn and press. Then I fold it up and it goes with me to sewing group or guild meetings.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I second Bellaboo's suggestion. I followed Sharon's instructions but used a $10. Oak TV tray from Wal-mart. It sits at an angle to wherever I am working so I can just turn and press. Then I fold it up and it goes with me to sewing group or guild meetings.
    That is such a good idea! Thank you!
    Stephanie in Mena

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Very smart idea! Thanks! I've been needing something like this!

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I've been wanting to make a large ironing board for pressing quilt tops. You all have inspired me, too. First up, find a board big enough! Guess I could enlist hubby's help....

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com View Post
    I've been wanting to make a large ironing board for pressing quilt tops. You all have inspired me, too. First up, find a board big enough! Guess I could enlist hubby's help....
    There are a couple of threads with instructions for these here on the board.

I like to wrap insulbrite around an old fabric bolt & cover it all with a layer of cheap, heavy muslin for a portable board. I learned that in a quilting class once & it really works! Light & easy to tote!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I agree with BellaBoo. A harder surface works great when pressing blocks. I loved Sharon Schamber's pressing board so much when I made one, I now have three large ones and one small 14" square one to use as a portable pressing surface when just pressing parts of a block. They all work great.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    A hard non sinkable surface is better for pressing blocks. Too soft surface and your blocks will sink in when pressing and can make the block distorted. I used one layer of thin cotton batting and one layer of cotton canvas. I wet the canvas after stapling it to the board and let it dry. It shrank to a very tight firm fit. This is Sharon Schamber's recommended way to make a pressing board.
    This is what I did

It would not hurt to use insulbrite..but it would be fairly expensive. I use cheap batting covered by "why did I buy that " fabric, which I then cover with the silvery ironing board fabric that Joanns sells on bolts. It has gotten pricy too and I'm due to recover mine. Thinking about doing it in muslin this time. What do you all cover yours with?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast