Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: This might be a dumb question, but......

Blog Entries
    My husband makes the ironing boards out of the wooden folding tv trays. He has used insulbrite on some of them and then place a piece of batting under it then the silvery stuff you get a Joannes. They are really neat and work great for small projects or traveling as they fold up.
    Regina

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I wrapped a yard bag around a 2x4 piece of plywood. Then I covered it with cotton batting and then canvas and pulled it all tight before I stapled and then sprayed the canvas with water several times until it shrunk really tight. I also made some smaller boards from the scraps from the 1/2 sheet of plyboard. I made a muslin pillow case type cover so I could take it off and wash it to keep my canvas clean. Because it does not have much padding, it keeps the fabrics from stretching when you press. I love it and have given several of the smaller boards away. You don't need insulbright. The reason I used the heavy duty yard bags was to keep the moisture out of the wood in case I steamed.

Blog Entries
    2 layers of aluminum foil one on the wood and one above the batting but below the cover.>>

Nope no insulbrite - 2 layers of warm and natural under muslin. Ironing surface is 2x6 office furniture type table, not real wood, just laminate over some pressboard composite junk. No problems, works great - but for serious cutting I have to unhook it and put the cutting mat directly on the table
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Mine is an old army blanket (wool) wrapped tightly around the cutting table and stapled underneath, topped with cotton duck. Works great!
    Last edited by Trene; 08-10-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    ​tea

No question is too dumb to ask - and besides, the rest of us want to know the answer, too!

Blog Entries
    I've got a dumber Q - does insulbrite have a right/wrong side? I've got a large piece but no instructions re it's use.

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4