Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mildew on quilt >

Mildew on quilt

Mildew on quilt

Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM
dls

A friend had her two almost finished quilts stored in the hold area of her motor home for her trip to Texas for the winter.When she pulled them out the were covered with little spots of mildew. Does anyone know how to get the spots out?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 AM

here are a couple ways I would try on some of the same fabric before using on the quilt.

Lemon Juice and a tooth brush to open the pores of the fabric, with dial bath soap then rinse with the water and pour lemon juice over freshly cleaned area a second time lay in direct sunlight until dry. then wash in machine . This works for cotton. without discoloration on pale blue

I had a mold stain on the back of a yellow Melton coat (wool). I used a combination of Melamagic and Sol-U-Mel, both products of the Melaleuca company, (available on line from the company). I used about two tablespoons of each, diluted with an equal amount of water and poured the solution over the stain. It disappeared before my eyes. Because it was so fast I worried that it might hurt the cloth so I rinsed it immediately and well but no harm done.
Hope this will help :?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Try white vinegar 8-)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

All I know is that my gran use to use salts of lemon for this and iron mold, if bought this is piosonous but you can mix the two; I have never used it myself. Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM

We had the same problem. It took 3 washings, but I used Oxyclean and it was gone!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for all of the tips :D:D:D
Old 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
here are a couple ways I would try on some of the same fabric before using on the quilt.

Lemon Juice and a tooth brush to open the pores of the fabric, with dial bath soap then rinse with the water and pour lemon juice over freshly cleaned area a second time lay in direct sunlight until dry. then wash in machine . This works for cotton. without discoloration on pale blue

I had a mold stain on the back of a yellow Melton coat (wool). I used a combination of Melamagic and Sol-U-Mel, both products of the Melaleuca company, (available on line from the company). I used about two tablespoons of each, diluted with an equal amount of water and poured the solution over the stain. It disappeared before my eyes. Because it was so fast I worried that it might hurt the cloth so I rinsed it immediately and well but no harm done.
Hope this will help :?
Melaleuca products are the most amazing thing since sliced bread IMHO! They have saved my kids clothes & pretty much cleared up my nephews ezecma!