Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minkie

Is there a special way to use minkie on the back so it doesn't stretch real bad? I have some and want to use it for grandbabies quilts. Of course I am13 quilts behind.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    my first thought is to use spray on adhesive. i don't use it, but i'll bet the other members can give you advice.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    I am about to sew using minky tomorrow. am going to use spray adhesive and my walking foot and cross my fingers. will let you know if I am successful. lol

I have used Minkie on the back of baby quilts and I love it. My only suggestion is to use lots of pins and a walking foot and you will not have any problems. I did not use the spray adhesive so I am not sure if that will help or not. Good luck.

I just finished the FMQ on a quilt with Minkee backing for new GS due in November. I had no problems with stretching at all. I pin basted, just as I always do. Maybe alot of pins. Then I start with stitch in the ditch around blocks to stabilize so I can get the pins out of the way for the FMQ. The quilt I did just before this one for DGD also had Minkee backing, used same process, no problems. Knock on wood! Let us know how it goes for you.

just smooth it- don't stretch it when you put your sandwich together- baste well- whether using pins, needle & thread or spray-
    a walking foot or hopping foot depending on the type of quilting you plan (straight line or free motion)
    minkee quilts up beautifully! and is so soft and cozy- my granddaugters and neices call them (get naked) blankets! the love to wrap in them after baths---always a special request to have their quilts backed with minkee. :)

Thanks for all your tips. What if you use a long arm? Or would FMQ be easier?