Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MINKIE

Boo
    lin, tomorrow, first thing, take a trip to a quilt shop. Ask to see the minkee, then touch it. There is no way to explain how it feels, it must be experienced.

lin
    I'll try to find some minkie first time I get a chance. I can't wait see (and feel) this stuff. It sounds like something that would be very comfortable up against the skin. :)

Minkie is my favorite fabric. If you are quilting it you need to pin it or use temporary adhesive so it does not shift. I made my granddaughter a 3-D flower quilt for her nursery...too cute. good luck its very soffee as she says now.

Would someone please post a picture of Minkie? Up here in the boonies we don't have Minkie!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: Thanks.

This is what it looks like... Like Boo said... nothing can describe just how soft it is!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, Carla - I'm gonna have to order some online just to feel it!!! :wink:

Here is a picture of a quilt I did that I made for my grandaughter using minki. Turned out cute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm, I thought I knew what Minkie was until I saw the picture, so the next trip to the quilt shop, I'm going to check it out.

lin
    That is so cute quiltnana! I love the wall :D That is a darling room!!!

MCH
    If you've ever handled goose down ( the light, fluffy stuff) and imagine running you hand over a pile of it, that's something of what minkie feels like to the touch. It's unbelievablely soft.

The "slippery-ness" is because it is so soft and has a texture, giving it a "nap".

Now...not to be a "wet blanket" or pour water on enthusiasm...being that minkie is polyester (please correct me if I'm wrong), even though it feels so good to touch, is it really fire-retardant enough to use on a quilt or clothing for children? Polyester melts...and basically turns to napalm.

I love the stuff on the bolt, but I hesitate to use it. For baby quilts (especially), I stick with 100% cotton flannel.

Of course, there are some who would call me obsessive-compulsive about this...but, then, I saw a grass fire surround my home when I was a child...and had a childhood friend die because she was playing with matches. I was 4 and she was 6.

I even have a love-hate relationship with the fireplace in our family room.

take good care. madolyn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast