Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake in my own pattern - keep it?

Mistake in my own pattern - keep it?

I made a quilt top for a boy who is a friend of my granddaughter's, age 10. I made it with 4 patch squares as well as large squares of the focus fabric. I had a pattern I made up, with large squares at the corners and four of them making a square in the middle. I finished the entire top. Before adding the backing (not going to quilt it, just tie it to flannel) I discovered I had put two of the large squares in the wrong rows! I could change them out (I have added sashing) or leave it. It is noticeable, especially for me. I feel I did not even follow my own pattern and should change it, but would the young man notice? What would you do?

I'd fix it.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I would change it. I would think about the mistake when I saw the friend or anyone mentioned the quilt.
    Got fabric?

Chances are a 10 year old boy isn't going to notice but if it bothers you I would take it apart and fix it if it were mine. It would bother me, no matter if the giftee notices or not.

Blog Entries
    Can you share a picture?
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Chances are a 10 year old boy isn't going to notice but if it bothers you I would take it apart and fix it if it were mine. It would bother me, no matter if the giftee notices or not.
    ditto from me
    Nancy in western NY

I hate to admit it, but I have upon occasion said ... "it's close enough ..." while working on a quilt. But I think even I would fix this. Would never feel good about the project if I didn't. But remember it's your quilt, so it's your call.

Well....... here's an option. It sounds like this boy is a unique friend of your grand-daughter. You could just attach a note and explain what your original pattern was supposed to be - but - you placed one block uniquely different than the original plan because he is a unique friend.

I have read "That Dorky Homemade Quilt Look" and repeated, "Don't worry, no one will notice" until I am blue in the face. But the mistakes still haunt me, so I end up taking them out. (One time it took me over 18 hours of unsewing!) So I know I would have to take it out.

Power Poster
    ​If I notice a mistake in a top, I fix it. If I notice a mistake in a finished quilt, I call that a design modification and leave it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast