Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Modern Quilt Movement >
  • Modern Quilt Movement

• Modern Quilt Movement

Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I would love to add my thoughts to this discussion (don't I always? :mrgreen: ) but having read all the posts, I'm not really sure what the discussion is ABOUT and it seems to me that no one is really sure what Holice meant by her question and everyone is responding based on their own definition of a 'modern quilt' which is widely varied. Which for me makes the discussion rather fatuous. :?

PS, it suddenly occurred to me that the phrase 'modern quilt movement' perhaps referred to a specific, identifiable phenomenon that I wasn't aware of so I put the phrase into google - and this thread was the third result. :lol:

Holice, I'm sorry if it appears I'm criticising your OP, I don't mean to and please don't take it personally and hate me forever! But I think your question requires more definition to enable a meaningful discussion. :-D
    Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 AM

Creativity and self expression is the main thing. We live in a world where freedom comes at such a high price for women across the world. Let them create and quilt in their own way. Long live creativity and inspiration! Therese
    Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I love modern quilts. This isn't a new trend. Ghee Bend quilts made in the late 1800's were full on modern. http://www.google.com/search?q=gee+b...w=1021&bih=802
    Not really my cup of tea. However, just goes to show that everyone has different taste.
    Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 AM

I appreciate and draw upon all periods of quilting. However, I find it surprising how far quilting is based in the past, to the point of sometimes excessive conservatism. Quilting shouldn't be limited like that. It reminds me of when I was doing my A-level in music in the mid 90s, and everyone at school kept on going on about how terribly modern the piano pieces I was performing for my recital and exam were. As my percussion teacher pointed out in disgust, I wasn't playing a note written later than 1911.

I also find that mainstream quilting today is dominated by American quilting, which is itself a wonderful tradition, to the point where other quilting traditions get left out altogether.
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 AM

What trend? You don't specify . . .

I go with what I like no matter what the trend is because I didn't know that there was a trend that I was supposed to follow.

My quilts range from art quilt wall hangings of my own interpretation to standard quilts that I quilt on my HandiQuilter.

I don't think there is a "wrong way" to quilt.

My 2 yen!
    Marcia
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 AM

I think that the great thing about quilting is that everybody gets to do it the way they like to.
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
    I would love to add my thoughts to this discussion (don't I always? :mrgreen: ) but having read all the posts, I'm not really sure what the discussion is ABOUT ?

PS, it suddenly occurred to me that the phrase 'modern quilt movement' perhaps referred to a specific, identifiable phenomenon that I wasn't aware of so I put the phrase into google - and this thread was the third result. :lol:
    It might be a little too US specific.

I immediately took it to be related to this relatively newly organized "movement" in the US (and based my response on it):

http://themodernquiltguild.com/

These new guilds are being formed all over the country, just in the last year or two. While similar quilts are being made all over the world, I don't know if it's gelled into a noticeable influence elsewhere.
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 AM

Whatever floats your boat
    Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by k3n
    I would love to add my thoughts to this discussion (don't I always? :mrgreen: ) but having read all the posts, I'm not really sure what the discussion is ABOUT ?

It might be a little too US specific.

I immediately took it to be related to this relatively newly organized "movement" in the US (and based my response on it):

http://themodernquiltguild.com/

These new guilds are being formed all over the country, just in the last year or two. While similar quilts are being made all over the world, I don't know if it's gelled into a movement elsewhere.

I hate the word movement but I don't know how else to describe it.
    Thanks MTS - on the right hand side of that website page were links to Modern Quilt Guilds all around the world, including two in the UK - here's one http://norwichmodernquiltguild.webs.com/

So not US specific at all. ;-) :-D
    Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 AM

I belong to a quilt guild that is 25 years old. We see the old patterns and the new. Also see the art quilts and the utility quilts. I don't see much of a "movement" in this area. We are just a bunch of quilt lovers who do their own thing and lots of charity quilts and enjoy getting together to share our love of qulting. Don't know what they mean by "modern", quilts are ageless!