Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slow Stitch Movement >

Slow Stitch Movement

Slow Stitch Movement

Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Default Slow Stitch Movement

Did anybody listen to the podcast that Mark Lipinski was selling through Fons and Porter called The Slow Stitch Movement? He is selling it again so I was wondering what it was about amd if it is a worthwhile purchase?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:44 AM

I haven't heard of this, but I found a link to an interview he did with Schmetz Needles, here's the link:
http://issuu.com/schmetzneedles/docs...8703%2F8335184
Kif
Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I haven't heard of this, but I found a link to an interview he did with Schmetz Needles, here's the link:
http://issuu.com/schmetzneedles/docs...8703%2F8335184
Kif
Mahalo for the link! What an enlightening article. Mark said all the things I've been thinking as I let subscription after subscription lapse as patterns became "fast & easy" and anything that required work or thought disappeared.

Note: I'm not against making a fast and easy quilt when it's appropriate. But all the time? When did challenging ourselves become a dirty word?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 PM

I enjoy the piecing process in quilting. Many times I have finished a quilt top and said "I"m done already?" I think there is a time for quick projects when needed. But i quilting as in all aspects of our lives it is good to "take time and smell the roses"!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
Mahalo for the link! What an enlightening article. Mark said all the things I've been thinking as I let subscription after subscription lapse as patterns became "fast & easy" and anything that required work or thought disappeared.

Note: I'm not against making a fast and easy quilt when it's appropriate. But all the time? When did challenging ourselves become a dirty word?
I totally agree!!! I have let all my Quilt magazine subscriptions expire without renewing them, for this very reason!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 PM

I just read the article in the link. I loved it! I have been ready to do more quilting and more creative projects and I think Mark Lipinski's web site will be very helpful. When I do counted cross stitch, I am in the moment and just breathing and stitching. It's very meditative. I want my quilting to be like that too. Thanks SewMary for starting this thread~
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I just watch another episode of F&P that had Patrick Lose demoing satin stitches with the various threads he uses for his table runners and mug rugs.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM

I think it is totally up to you if you want to make easy, simple, or whatever. I wouldn't let magazines decide for me or someone on a video! Sometimes just the color does it for me in a quilt and it doesn't have to be "hard" to do it for me to like it. Also some things are not easy at all for some people to do so what you think may be easy may not be for others. Do what you want and enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If people want to make fast and easy quilts, especially for charity or to gift a large family, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. It is great joy to make someone happy with the gift of a quilt. And certainly we all learn as we go along and what is easy for one now wasn't easy for them at an earlier time, or for a less experienced person.

The article really isn't about that. Mark's article talks about losing the joy of the process itself because of an overemphasis on the finished product and an arbitrary timeline for completion. I also seldom buy quilting mags and have let all subscriptions other than Quilters Newsletter expire.

Last edited by Krisb; 07-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Okay, so now he has a blog and podcasts, with a magazine in the works. Seems a bit commercial to me, somewhat out of the spirit of slow stitching.