Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slow Stitch Movement >

Slow Stitch Movement

Slow Stitch Movement

Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

The phrase Slow Stitch Movement has been around for decades. I remember reading about it when I first started quilting in quilt magazines, no internet quilting then. It use to be the mantra of the quilting purist and still is for the elderly members of my guild who still won't use a rotary cutter. Now it's old being made new again. That's all.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the link and interesting topic.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Mark is right..We all seem to live in a world of instant gratification. I think this is why time seems to fly. We need to stop and smell the roses...
Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 AM

Interesting...I guess I am more of a 'product' person, but process is important to me too.

Maybe it's a factor of age...I'm 39 & work full time plus - relaxation time comes in dribs and drabs and MOST of my energy is spent on work or daily living. If I made slow quilts I'd make no quilts, I'd probably still be working on my first one!

Instead I've made 30-some in just over 2 years. Lots of my family members and friends and even a few strangers snuggle under my quilts, and THAT is a big part of why I enjoy this hobby.

And I don't have anything against slow quilts either, I'm (slowly) working on an EPP hexie. But I'll probably finish another 30 quilts before that hexie gets done.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM

I agree, Ditter. Find a pattern that you like, take your time and enjoy the whole process. You can always find patterns online, or you can find them at your LQS. I have so many magazines, and would be willing to bet that I have only made a quilt from 1 or 2 of them. Seems like spending a lot to me to have paid for all those magazine subscriptions, when there is no possible way to use all the patterns included no matter what the skill level may be
Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM

I love to do anything that takes time an patience...wine making, cheese making, bread baking, kombucha brewing, vegetable gardening, etc. I think that's why I love quilting. I like to work on it, put it away and come back to it later...do a little more and then let it rest to mature. There's a wonderful rhythm to it all.

~ Cindy
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM

I like the process of piecing. Therefore I have many UFO's. They just need backs put on them. There are quilts that I truly just enjoy the whole process and take my time. These are done for the journey. Others that need to be done as quick simple gifts I do for the destination. Not that I enjoy them any less. Just have the need to get them done. If I did not enjoy any part of it, I would quit quilting altogether. After all this is my hobby, passion and total enjoyment.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Well, life is short. If I'm even here in five years I'll be singing songs of praise, I hope. So maybe I should be rushing through quilts with pieces the size of a fat quarter!

That said, I have never completed anything in a day, except maybe weeding the vegetable garden, and it nearly killed me. (Sorry Eleanor, can't do it!)

Everything takes time and thought and trial and error and that is why my sewing room is called the quilting laboratory. I can muddle and dork around and futz, or do quick trials of some new thing, or practice some technique until it drives me nuts, or spend ages shopping for the right fabrics, or just fondle my stash, or hustle through piles of piecing way into the night, and I don't have to answer to anyone, let alone TV quilting gurus or on-line magazine writers trying to sell me something.

Quilt on!