Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive >

Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive

Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive

Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM

Default Modern Sewing Machines Unattractive

Does anyone else think that modern sewing machines and cabinets so ugly or utilitarian?

I have my eye on a Singer Featherweight AND I have been considering getting a treadle machine to have in the sitting room. A big attraction is they are so pretty as well as being useful. My current Bernina looks like white and red box, not something I want on display in the sitting room.

My grandmother had her treadle sewing machine in her bedroom. Shiny and black with gold roses and a beautiful cabinet with drawers full of wonderful things. My mother had her less than beautiful electric sewing machine in the spare room but when it wasn’t in use (and interfering with the television!) it folded down in elegant table on tapered legs.

When I am ready to upgrade the Bernina, I am going to take it apart and see if I can “pimp my sewing machine”. Has anyone “customised” theirs?

HettyB
Old 12-18-2015, 05:51 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Oh Yes!! Check these out: https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...21.6iBu9IPytTQ

Jan in VA
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM

I love my Berninas and think they're beautiful. But then, I think my Vitamix is a beautiful machine too . . .but I don't think I'd want either on display in the sitting room. My machines are for me to use. I wouldn't be opposed to having a beautiful antique machine on display in my living room . . .but I wouldn't trade all the bells and whistles on my Bernina for a stripped down straight and zig zag machine, no matter how pretty she was.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:16 PM

Well, my Bernina and Viking are both on prominant display in my living room, but since I long ago turned my living room into my studio they have every right to be there center stage. When it comes to form or function with sewing machines, I'll go with function every time!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 PM

You have a studio in your living room too?

😄

I have three sewing machines out, three stashed behind the sofa, batting and fabric hidden behind the recliners and piles of work on the buffet.

Good thing we don't entertain.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:29 AM

Depends on the machine. I would have to agree with your comment on Brother, BabyLock, Janome and Juki. However, the larger, more expensive Bernina's and Vikings are beautiful machines to look at.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 AM

I would love to put my treadle coffin top machine in the living room if I can ever get it restored.
Jan, those are quite a collecting of "souped up" machines. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:00 AM

I love my new machines
Old 12-19-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
You have a studio in your living room too?

I have three sewing machines out, three stashed behind the sofa, batting and fabric hidden behind the recliners and piles of work on the buffet.

Good thing we don't entertain.
I have telescopes set up in my living room. The sewing machines have the dining room which with an open plan house is visible from the kitchen and living room. I have computers in both rooms. I don't care what Modern Living and Martha Stewart think.

If I have to do extra to dust it, I don't want it. (The scopes have plastic bags over them)

I'm not fond of rounded objects, pain to store and use more space. The Juki 2010 is rounded, but it's so functional that I can stand it.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM

This is my Janome 6600
My 8900 and Singer 404 are similarly attired. I love bling.
Attached Thumbnails blinged-sewing-machine.jpg