Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines >

Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines

Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM

Default Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines

I have 30+ machines at my disposal. I've used all of them a bit as I cleaned, lubed and fixed them up. I have a quilt planned that I intend to use all of the machines on. Just a simple denim quilt using 6.5" squares and mostly straight stitches.

Although I'll be using different machines to piece the squares together I want to use one thread. If I can I'd like to find a large cone of thread suitable for the various machines. I want to use the same thread through out for the assembly of the quilt. I have the cone stands and my widget, so that is not a problem.

What thread would be best for such a project? I don't want really light or really heavy thread.
I'll be using it for the top and bobbin in round bobbins as well as long bobbins.

Oh, and I'd really like it to be available locally if possible or at least in the US.

TIA

Joe
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 AM

Well Joe not knowing about all the machines and how they react to different threads I'd say pick out a few med weight threads and try them in each machine with the denim. Maybe a good quality quilting thread. JMHO Best of luck to you.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 AM

Although I have admittedly not used all the different brands, I personally like Aurofil thread. It works great in my vintage machines. My sister, however, loves Mettler. Both should be available to you.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 AM

Personally, I use Presencia, but the LAQs in our area like Superior.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM

Vintage machines? Denim? What's the brand got to do with anything? I use TEX 40 on denim. All of my old girls purr right along with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM

Interesting project! One of my vintage machines is a Bernina Record and she does NOT like Isacord at all. So I understand what you are talking about when you ask what would work. You have quite a project ahead of you, especially if you test even two threads on all 30 machines. Wow! I wish you well.

You don't have a deadline for getting this done, do you?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

No deadline to finish, but I'm getting ancy to get started.

So far Aurofil, Mettler, Presencia, Superior, and TEX 40 have been recommended. I have no idea where to get any of that in this area. Where I have gone, mostly the big box stores I haven't seen any of these names that I remember.

One of the machines I'm going to be using is a Bernina Record 930, so I'll keep that brand in the disregard list.

Is there any one type of thread that will last and is stronger than another for quilting?

Joe
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Locally I have only found coats and Clark and gutter man cotton threads. Both work well in my computerized brother and vintage singers.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by misskira View Post
Locally I have only found coats and Clark and gutter man cotton threads. Both work well in my computerized brother and vintage singers.
We have those too and I've used both. The Coats thread seems to work better in most machines and the Gutermann thread either works really good, or not worth a hoot.

About the only thread I've found that seams to work in every machine I've tried it in is serger thread. Some months ago I posted a thread where I made a widget and was using the serger thread in my 66 treadles. I've since used that in several old and older machines and it's worked good in all of them. I haven't broken it once. But I've also been told it's not really good for piecing as it's lighter weight than regular thread.

Joe
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM

You say you are going to use many machines to piece? Just remember each machine may give you just a little different stitch......as far as a good all machine type thread.....a poly covered cotton of 40wt would probably suffice. You also say "QUILTING".........on all different machines too??? Again, there could be a tension problem with some.......again I would use a poly covered cotton thread......JMHO And my final question: Why use all those machines on one quilt??????? I cannot picture that process in my mind's eye......