Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monofilament thread help >

Monofilament thread help

Monofilament thread help

Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Monofilament thread help

Good day all! I am planning on quilting my baby quilt with monofilament thread and have never done it before. Do I use regular thread in the bobbin? Any tips for using this thread? Thank you in advance as you are all so helpful!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

QuiltsRock ... I've only used monofilament in classes, and there they have said to use regular thread for the bobbin. I don't particularly care for it, as when using it in a class, it got all wrapped around the spindles and I had quite a mess. I could not see it to solve the problem! Thankfully it was the dealer's class for learning how to use my new machine. She patiently got it all off my machine and thus started my not so much love for the stuff! And no doubt, there'll be a day when I know I "need" to use it, and will then tackle the stuff!

How's the ice in the far east?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Thank you for that info as I was actually worried about that. I was looking at it and remembering my fishing days, lol! Lots of snags!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM

I have used it successfully, but only in situations where I could not use regular thread. I found that it is by far the best to use a top quality monofilament, not one that's like fine fishing line. I used regular thread in the bobbin.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilts rock View Post
Thank you for that info as I was actually worried about that. I was looking at it and remembering my fishing days, lol! Lots of snags!
Just remember ... the info did not come from any pro on the matter. I'm sure there are others who have a lot more knowledge, experience and know-how to share!

Another tidbit that I picked up here on the QB ... many do not use monofilament on baby quilts, for fear that the child chews and then ultimately swallows it or wraps it around themselves. Although I think the same could happen with other threads too, but I guess with this being plastic (or whatever it is!) it could be more of a concern. Don't really know ... though it does make sense to me.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM

I use monofilament a lot and the BIGGEST tip I can give you is make sure you get a polyester monofilament and avoid nylon. Superior Threads sells a good and inexpensive mono-poly on their website and they have low shipping. I have found that the poly is catching on and you might be able to find it in one of the big box stores but you'll have to look at the label.

The next tip is to use a size 10 needle - it's the size I use whenever I use any kind of polyester thread. It's a thinner more delicate thread so you need a smaller needle. Most people have better results with a different thread in the bobbin, I would suggest a polyester that feels and looks like a cotton. It will still be thin and strong like the monopoly, but it will also have a little grip. A slippery shiny polyester might be a little more tricky to work with, but it's doable.

Just a little note, something to think about. I really don't recommend any kind of invisible monofilament threads in a baby quilt. All you need is one little loop to catch on the baby and it could become a very dangerous situation. Because it's such a tricky stretchy slippery thread it's very easy to conceive that a loop could happen, and I just find it unsafe for little ones.

Good luck whatever you choose, and we of course want to see pictures when you're done!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Just remember ... the info did not come from any pro on the matter. I'm sure there are others who have a lot more knowledge, experience and know-how to share!

Another tidbit that I picked up here on the QB ... many do not use monofilament on baby quilts, for fear that the child chews and then ultimately swallows it or wraps it around themselves. Although I think the same could happen with other threads too, but I guess with this being plastic (or whatever it is!) it could be more of a concern. Don't really know ... though it does make sense to me.
Whoa! I never even thought about that, thanks so much for mentioning that! I am going back to square 1 with my idea for quilting this baby quilt.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM

I have a couple of table runners to do so will practise on them. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Whoa! I never even thought about that, thanks so much for mentioning that! I am going back to square 1 with my idea for quilting this baby quilt.
If you're wanting something that's not so noticeable ... I love Invisafil 100 wt or Wonderfil 80 wt threads. Very fine/thin and lots of colour choices. It lets you get the quilting done, without the thread taking the forefront of the results.And another bonus, to me ... that all means that my not-so-perfect quilting is a little less noticeable!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Good day all! I am planning on quilting my baby quilt with monofilament thread and have never done it before. Do I use regular thread in the bobbin? Any tips for using this thread? Thank you in advance as you are all so helpful!
I wouldn't use mono for a baby quilt. Just in case stitching comes out and kiddo tries to eat it. But that is just me.