Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monofilament thread help >

Monofilament thread help

Monofilament thread help

Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Just remember ... the info did not come from any pro on the matter. I'm sure there are others who have a lot more knowledge, experience and know-how to share!

Another tidbit that I picked up here on the QB ... many do not use monofilament on baby quilts, for fear that the child chews and then ultimately swallows it or wraps it around themselves. Although I think the same could happen with other threads too, but I guess with this being plastic (or whatever it is!) it could be more of a concern. Don't really know ... though it does make sense to me.

I replied pretty much the same about the kiddo eating it. Didn't think of wrapping a finger or arm or leg or neck around it.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM

I wouldn't use monofilament thread on a baby quilt. The ends tend to poke you--think labels in the necks of shirts that continually stab you. If you match the thread to the color of the quilt, it will blend right in. That concern is in addition to the concern regarding loops getting wrapped around tiny fingers and toes, or worse. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Sue
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM

don't rec. monofilament esp. for baby. If it comes loose, it pinches
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
QuiltsRock ... I've only used monofilament in classes, and there they have said to use regular thread for the bobbin. I don't particularly care for it, as when using it in a class, it got all wrapped around the spindles and I had quite a mess. I could not see it to solve the problem! Thankfully it was the dealer's class for learning how to use my new machine. She patiently got it all off my machine and thus started my not so much love for the stuff! And no doubt, there'll be a day when I know I "need" to use it, and will then tackle the stuff!

How's the ice in the far east?
Oh as to your ice question- it was awful this morning and into the afternoon, and now it's just sleet, but.....what happened to Spring????
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Ok will do that as I have some really light colors and some dark primary colors in this quilt and the backing is a dark blue, so was obsessing about what color to use.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Instead of using nylon use polyester invisible thread. It is much, much easier to use. I found the regular invisible thread to be a huge pain to work with, while the poly worked fine.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra View Post
I have used it successfully, but only in situations where I could not use regular thread. I found that it is by far the best to use a top quality monofilament, not one that's like fine fishing line. I used regular thread in the bobbin.
Yes, top quality monofilament has made a huge difference in my work too. I prefer doubling it up in the needle. I use a 10 spool thread stand on my machine, so the spools sit side by side, and it is fairly easy to run both threads through the machine. I use a 90/14 sharp needle with polyester thread in the bobbin.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 AM

What about for appliqueing? Should you try to match the applique or just use the monofilament. Seems matching would really slow you down.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Have you thought about using a variegated cotton thread?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilts rock View Post
Oh as to your ice question- it was awful this morning and into the afternoon, and now it's just sleet, but.....what happened to Spring????
Ours was a wicked day yesterday too. This morning, the meltdown is starting and it's a typical spring gloomy day ... though so far still just around freezing. As for Spring, they say it is on Monday ... 20C! Mother Nature sure does have has a warped sense of humour!