Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • more epp questions >
  • more epp questions

• more epp questions

Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 PM

I don't use any knots in basting just a couple smallish stitches to start and stop and chain stitch til the thread runs out.
    Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by applique
    I don't use any knots in basting just a couple smallish stitches to start and stop and chain stitch til the thread runs out.
    This sounds similar to what I do - I latch on with 2 - 3 stitches in place, baste around, and latch off with a couple of back stitches again. I don't clip at this point, but hold my next hexi between my thumb and first finger. The previous hexi is held behind in my second and third fingers. I latch on to the new hexi with backstitches leaving a half-inch of thread connecting the two. Then I clip this wee link and I'm ready to baste second hexi. No knotting and very little waste of thread or time :-).

The other shortcut I use: I use the same thread to baste as to join hexies together, so I frequently use the same trick to join a new hexi straight on to a flower, so I'm seeing progress with every hexi lol
    Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    When I work on my hexies and baste with thread, I have a few needle and thread ready to go and same with connecting them. I prep about 6 needles and thread is about length of my arm. That way I can pick up where I left off. When I sew the hexies together, I do a ladder stitch. I also mark the size of my hexies on the template. I like to use freezer paper for templates, about 3 layers. You can get a lot of templates cut on 3 sheets of 18x18" paper.
    On my first GFG I used freezer paper( from the roll at grocery store). I cut into strips a bit larger than hexie pattern, fan folded, drew on hexie,, then stapled in middle of hexie, cut out, removed staple and then ironed those to strips of fabric leaving enough room for seam allowances, pressed, then cut those with rotary and ruler......this one I am using a fiskar hexie punch for papers( old greeting cards, inserts from mags, etc) and an acrylic template for that size hexie ( PaperPieces.com ) and am gluing this one....

As far as attaching by sewing side to side...hard to explain, I just sort of hold in left hand and go across like a whip stitch just pinching the edge of the fabric on each , but the hexies are laying next to each other, as this piece is growing.....rosettes and path I am sort of laying it on a lap table and joining.....at first it was clumsy, but now it is becoming second nature...
    Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 AM

When I'm sewing hexies together instead of knotting,cutting restart, I will "travel" that thread inside the fold of that one section, to my new add on point, where I will put a knot, then begin. That travel thread will be caught up in the connecting thread...like in handquilting, ( traveling thread).
    Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Yes to the glue stick. I use a the small glue pen type. It sure does speed up the process.