Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More on pies and tarts..... >

More on pies and tarts.....

More on pies and tarts.....

Old 04-14-2015, 08:26 AM

Default More on pies and tarts.....

Now I am truly Intrigued with this, but by checking out various sites I found this was the thing a few yrs ago....where have I been....... Anyway, I was thinking it could be duplicated by using drunkards path pattern but in the pie wedge part sew two strips together then use a template to cut that then two colored wedge and sew to other piece. One could actually get two color ways that way..flipping that template gives two directions of design...the smaller tarts could then be applied afterwards using a smaller pie wedge??????? Or has someone already thought of this? What am I not seeing in my rendition? I would go to my sewing cave now and experiment, but I have life chores to do first, and afterwards other things will probably get in the way of my playing time!!!! I just want to play, but can't afford having someone else do everything else for me.........you too?????
Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 PM

I really didn't follow the pies and strips so well. I only started quilting a couple years ago and experience is limited.
However, NOT the point of my response. I REALLY identified with what you said about "life chores" getting in the way of "play time" If you find a way around that would you post it? I am 68 and feel I have done my share of chores, ya know? Just want to see some of the gold in the golden years.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM

It always seems like "life chores" get in the way - I have a friend who loves to quilt/sew and is also working full time- night shift no less. She also babysits one day per week for a grandchild. She is always saying she's going to set aside a day to sew and spends her off time doing housework, errands etc to get to that magic "day in the sewing room" - of course, life conspires to rob her of this week by week so she has decided to stop trying to do this and instead has tried to find time each day for a bit of sewing - this has worked so much better for her.
I 've been thinking that plan is not such a bad idea either - I'm not working now but life errands do get in the way so I think I'm going to try to do some life work each day and reward myself with some sewing or quilting time after!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 AM

I think your template idea is great. You would need 2 sizes for each square, one for the pie and one for the tart, but I think it's a great idea. I'm sure there has to be DP templates out there that this would be perfect for. Let us know what you come up with. Thinking I might give it a try your way, at least on a small quilt. Thanks :-)

Last edited by Feathers-N-Fur; 04-15-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 AM

See, like yesterday...went to Walmart and bought 20 bags of mulch...best price when compared to four other sources...daughter and I loaded into vehicle because they didn't have any extra hands to help...unloaded into garage, had lunch, then proceeded to begin landscaping 101......at 4:30- 11 bags down, broke for showers and dinner out then collapse on couch for tv time...this AM, daughter at work now...will be home at 3pm, will finish the #^%# landscaping chore, and then MAYBE I will go to my sewing refuge and really play.......I have a GO with the DP dies.....experiment #1 Pies & Tarts.......tomorrow - Think about moving to a condo!