Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must NOT do's for new quilters >

Must NOT do's for new quilters

Must NOT do's for new quilters

Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 AM

What not to do?

1. Don't listen to (or offer) 'always' and 'never' statements. There is no place for those absolutes and it's grossly unfair to attempt to limit someone else's quilting (or life) experiences. Personally, I would rather cut off a thumb than chop my small pieces into smaller ones.

2. Don't focus on the negative. Play to your strengths, reward your accomplishments, accept that you'll occasionally fail, aim for growth and improvement, follow your own path, and try new things without fear.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

What works for one may not work for another. When I get small scraps from somewhere (i.e. I did not generate them myself) I wash and iron them (no matter how small) and store by color in plastic shoe boxes. They don't get wrinkled up that way, and they are available to be cut into smaller pieces when I know what size pieces I want for a particular project. That system works for me, but someone else may find that the Bonnie Hunter system of keeping pre-cut scraps works best for her.

The only advice I would offer a new quilter is to have confidence that you will succeed and patience when you're struggling. Quilting is a big world, and there are many ways to approach it. Getting advice from other quilters is helpful, but realize that if you ask a general question you will get 10 different answers, and probably 9 of them will be right. You may wind up trying several ways to do something before you settle on the one that works best for you.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:02 AM

Don't point out your mistakes. Only the quilt police will notice them.

Don't feel like you have to keep scraps, unless you like scrappy. I give my scraps away or I sew a yard of fabric into a sack and throw all my scraps into it for a doggy bed.

Don't give up on your UFOs, WIPs, PHDs. I am slowly whittling down my UFOs by picking out one and working on it at least 30 minutes a day for one month. If it isn't finished by the end of the 30 days, it goes back in the UFO box and I pick another one to work on the next month. Sooner or later, you will get them finished.

Don't force yourself to finish a quilt that you have come to hate. Package the pattern and all the fabrics, pieces, etc. and take it to your guild (if you belong to one) and give it away. Someone will love it. If no one wants it, put it all in the doggie bed bag.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 AM

I can identify with Alderdweller going into my sewing room makes me sad .......cluttered, messy, unorganized, just a mess. I have been taking items for donation however my progress is too slow. And those free patterns sheesh.......in addition those magazines...I have to accept that I will never make all of those. calla
Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Hmmm I know this started as a whats your best "not to do" advice column. I didn't think I really had any till reading this and threads in the past and what struck me was some of the sadness too messy, too much, too overwhelming, too crowded..etc etc etc. what I have to say is if it makes you sad, overwhelmed or anxious, if you have to much stuff it's time to go in and clear out the things you are done with even if you never used them. Do it without guilt sell it, donate it if no one wants it trash it, even if it was a gift is it important to keep it just because great aunt Ida or cousin Mary gave it to you? Would they want it to cause you grief or pain? sometimes we just have to make room for ourselves to feel comfortable in our space and to do that sometimes we must part with things. Nothing should be safe from you looking at it and deciding if its something you want to keep, will you use it in the next 12 months? Does it bring you joy? Is it useful in your quilting/sewing space? does it work? if your answer is no it need to go.

So I guess my advice is never allow the "stuff" associated with quilting bring you down.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM

There is no one size fits all for quilter's. What works for one may not work for someone else. Some are happy and productive working in a seemingly unorganized space. Others are stifled in that kind of space. My advice is to find what works for you. If you aren't enjoying your quilting experience, it is time to evaluate. For me, a stash other than leftovers from completed quilts or fabric purchased for a project that didn't work makes me nervous. I buy fabric for a project and finish the project. I don't have fabric that doesn't have a specific project to nag at me. My small serendipitous stash serves me well for applique. That's just me and it keeps me happily quilting. Others find great pleasure in a large stash with no anxiety whatsoever. You don't have to be like anyone else. Find what works for you.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I learned to NOT cut my scraps up into little pieces ahead of time.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Don't be your own worst critic! Do the best you can at the time, learn from it and move on.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

When starting out -

Do not offer to make something for everyone you know!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 AM

You all are probably right. Maybe *Always* is a word I should strike. I will just say in my own case (because I let my scraps get out of hand), I need to do something immediately with small scraps as I make them.
Since my favorite quilts are scrappy ones, I tended to hold on to everything, but my use of them was far less than their ability to multiply.
After some time in my sewing room, I am starting to see results that I love. Containers that I have labeled with appropriate size scraps, needles, bias tapes, assorted tools, ect.
What I thought would really hurt me in giving away so much, has actually freed me. I feel lighter and happier!
So, yes....we need to do what is right for us, but just be open to another method if the one you have isn't working