Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My ironing cover melted! >

My ironing cover melted!

My ironing cover melted!

Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 AM

I can't believe it. After 30 years I finally bought a new ironing board cover. I placed it on top of my old one, which is quite worn and has a couple of cuts in it.

This morning I was trying to get my quilt pieces ready for my quilt class on Tuesday. I set the iron on Cotton setting and got all of my squares ready to press.

When I pressed the first one, I notice the iron was a little sluggish. When I looked closer I realized it had "melted" the ironing board cover. Thank goodness it didn't get on the square only the iron. Does this make sense? Aren't all ironing board covers supposed to be used for hot irons?

It took me about 45 minutes to get it off my iron.

Needless to say, I am sticking with my old, worn cover. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I change my cover when it gets stained so have tried them all. I've never heard of an ironing board cover that was made from fabric that won't take the heat. What brand is it? Where did you buy it? I buy ironing board covers from Walmart, Target, and Walgreens and never had this happen before. Take it back to the store.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 AM

I'm thinking ironing board covers are not supposed to melt. Take it back!!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM

a new Ironing board cover is on my list of things to pick up today! Do they still make the kind that have the silverish top? I think it was to reflect the heat back thru the fabric? Really don't know why it is like it is, but I like this type of cover
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM

I have never heard of one that would melt. I would return it pronto!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
a new Ironing board cover is on my list of things to pick up today! Do they still make the kind that have the silverish top? I think it was to reflect the heat back thru the fabric? Really don't know why it is like it is, but I like this type of cover
I use that stuff to make pot holders with, I get it from Newark Dressmaker's online. They also have a quilted version which is quite thick, wonderful for table runners and pot holders.

I've never heard of an ironing board cover that melted either, but I don't usually change mine. Could something have gotten onto your ironing board and that's what melted? I agree taking it back would be the right thing to do. After all, ironing board covers are supposed to take lots of heat.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM

I would return it if I remembered where I bought it. I bought it a couple of years ago when I was very sick. Stuck it in my linen closet until I needed it. It might have been the Christmas Tree Shop or Boscov's.

Oh well, I still have my old faithful. And people wonder why we like antiques! (Like my Singer's, a 1930 and a 1937).

Quilter7x, I will have to try and find the stuff you are talking about. Would love to have my potholders and casserole coasters match my placemats. Good idea.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Wow!!! I have never heard of that happening... I would not have been pleased either about ending up with a ruined cover and a mess on my iron.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I change my cover when it gets stained so have tried them all. I've never heard of an ironing board cover that was made from fabric that won't take the heat. What brand is it? Where did you buy it? I buy ironing board covers from Walmart, Target, and Walgreens and never had this happen before. Take it back to the store.
I agree, take it back.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
... Quilter7x, I will have to try and find the stuff you are talking about. Would love to have my potholders and casserole coasters match my placemats. Good idea.
I just called Newark Dressmaker's (AKA Home Sew) because I couldn't remember the name of it. The lady knew exactly what I was talking about! Their phone number is 800-736-6783.

FA100 is the plain single layer silicon cloth. It's 39" wide for $8.15 a yard. http://www.newarkdress.com/m102.html

FA408 is the quilted kind, called Quilted Therma Fleck. This is really thick (too thick for my Janome Jem). It is 44" wide and has 100% cotton batting in it. It's worth every penny, $15.45 a yard. http://www.newarkdress.com/m408.html

They usually have a few coupons in the catalog they mail to you and they're pretty decent coupons (thread, scissors, free shipping, etc). I will often get a bag of pot-luck zippers for around $4.00 from them whenever I order. http://www.newarkdress.com/