Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think I melted the batting! What do I do?

I just finished putting the binding on my quilt (the first time I ever actually took my time and did it right). The directions said to press the binding toward the back. So what do I do. I grab the iron and start pressing the heck out of it. Did a whole side then started on the next...looked back and a big portion of a border and binding was FLAT AS A PANCAKE. What have I done? How in the world am i going to fix it. I've been working on this thing for a month for my mother-in-law for Christmas and now I've ruined it at the end. I just want to cry!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Is it Hobbs Polydown? I had that happen recently. I went ahead and finished the quilt. It really was a small part of the quilt and my daughter won't complain and neither will your MIL.

I don't know. It was in a big fluffy roll next to the Warm & Natural. I could just kick myself.

well if you whant the puffyness back you could probly cut a small strip off extra batting and put it inside the binding. hope something works.

Blog Entries
    I agree with irishrose. And it might not be as bad as you think, it might puff up a little as it's washed and dried a few times. Even if it doesn't, it'll be loved just the same.

Um, are you certain that you melted it? Take a spray bottle and hose it down with water...let it sit for 30 minutes or so. I would be very surprised if it didn't bounce right back.

I just sprayed it down. Man I hope that works.

If it doesn't come back don't mention it and chances are no one else will notice.

Good luck on this I'll be watching to see if this works, wetting it down. I this once and after several washing it is still stiff. Thank goodness it was my quilt.

Blog Entries
    Probably won't be noticed by a man riding by on a galloping horse..........I am someone's MIL and I would just appreciate what my DIL did for me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrenbeathRanch
    Um, are you certain that you melted it? Take a spray bottle and hose it down with water...let it sit for 30 minutes or so. I would be very surprised if it didn't bounce right back.
    this is what I was going to suggest...it won't stay flat..really...

Blog Entries
    Sorry this happened, and I hope it will fluff back up for you! Either way, she is sure to love it!

Well, so far nothing is happening. I'm just going to let it sit until tomorrow. Maybe a quilt genie will drop in and fix it. I'll let you know what happens.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slhager
    Well, so far nothing is happening. I'm just going to let it sit until tomorrow. Maybe a quilt genie will drop in and fix it. I'll let you know what happens.
    if it doesn't fluff back up do you think you could find a really thick yarn or even the cotton cording for doing upholstery to stick there before you stitch the binding down?

can you show us a picture, maybe a picture will help folks suggest other fixes

Yeah, I had a flat binding due to my err once. It puffed up after washing. Good luck and even if flat MIL will be sew pleased with the quilt and the love that went into the making.

Power Poster
    I'm hoping the quilt genie comes tonight! but if she doesn't can you just iron the rest of the border to match? Not what you were hoping for but she will think you planned it that way?

Blog Entries
    You can do a burn test on a scrap of batting, that should tell you whether it's cotton or poly. However, if it's poly, I don't know what to tell you. If it's cotton you should be fine.

Ive done that,once its used and loved no one cares. But i know how upset you are, been there. It really will be ok. Life happens. :)

Blog Entries
    have you washed and dried the quilt yet? once it is washed and dried i bet it is nice and fluffy again....we press it to make it flat...that's the point of the pressing- we wash & dry to fluff.

Blog Entries
    I melted the poly in a comforter once just by putting it in the dryer after washing. If the other suggestions don't work, I would cut away the stiff offending parts as much as possible and spray baste a new strip of batting along the area. Once you get the binding sewed down around it I doubt if anyone would notice a thing. So sorry this happened to you. I'm sure your MIL will be pleased regardless.

Blog Entries
    So how did it turn out? i melted a fleece blanket once, in the dryer..to hot and in there to long. the softness was gone and it felt all rough. so i am sure that is was happened to it. it is now in the car for winter emergencies!

i hope it worked out for you..but honestly, i think it will be fine, and your MIL will be happy and proud to have it!

I am curious to know how the wetting worked also. I sure hope that the quilt fairies came during the night and puffed it up!

Blog Entries
    Patience is a virtue.. give it time. Hope it is better today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    can you show us a picture, maybe a picture will help folks suggest other fixes
    Here are a couple pictures but I don't think you can tell much. It's the border between the quilt and the binding. You can kind of see the flatness then the fluffiness. No, it the genie didn't come last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast