Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My log cabin needs your help . . . >
  • My log cabin needs your help . . .

• My log cabin needs your help . . .

Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 AM

I agree with Suzi. Nice quilt!
    Originally Posted by Suzi
    Put the dark brown sashing around the 2 cream colored edges and then border the entire quilt. Possibly a thin cream border and then a dark brown border. It's very classic and lovely!
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 AM

I like the effect they were going for with the layout, from very light to very dark. I think the dark is just too dark. I would change it to a more subtle dark.
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 AM
    KR

I would add dark brown to the 2 sides with white on the outside. Then a narrow red inner border. Then a wider border with the mustard-y color and bind with the paisley....thus repeating the progression you have in the blocks and pulling it all together.

That being said....it's your quilt. Audition different fabrics and see what you like best.
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Put the dark brown sashing around the 2 cream colored edges and then border the entire quilt. Possibly a thin cream border and then a dark brown border. It's very classic and lovely!
    Exactly!
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter
    I am making this log cabin for my DD's 30th birthday. Once I lined up the blocks, I noticed something is not right. I don't like that 2 sides have the dark brown (looks black) on the outside and 2 sides have the cream. Am I supposed to put a border around the whole quilt with a completely different fabric? or put another row of dark brown around the cream and then a border? maybe rearrange the blocks? H-E-L-P ...
    Rip that sashing out!! There are soooooooooo many interesting designs you can do with log cabing blocks!
    Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 AM

I have only made one log cabin quilt but, here is what I learned. To make or change your lay out you need the same amount of blocks ie. 4x4 or 3x3 or 6x6 makes the best layout for a log cabin. I understand that the dark brown is not sashing from the picture and, pictures are not always color accurte, it might be too dark but I would not replace it. If it were me I would do as other have suggested and go ahead and add the rest of the dark brown a small light boarder and a wider dark boarder and as I always say " It is what it is." Your DD will love it and you will both be happy. IMHO
    Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 AM

It is that way because of the placement. Other LG patterns give varied borders. I like this placement and would put a dark border on the other side. but having a two toned border is artistic and unique, No police here it is what You want to do with your creation. :)
    Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 AM

If you are ok with changing your layout, you should be fine. I posted some photos of different log cabin layouts in this thread the other day--- http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-161392-1.htm hth! :)
    Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

I would put a border around the whole thing.
    Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by KR
    I would add dark brown to the 2 sides with white on the outside. Then a narrow red inner border. Then a wider border with the mustard-y color and bind with the paisley....thus repeating the progression you have in the blocks and pulling it all together.

That being said....it's your quilt. Audition different fabrics and see what you like best.
    I agree with adding in some of that reddish color somewhere in the border. It would bring some brightness to the border. I love these colors, she will love it no matter what you decide.:)