Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My quilt is TOO SMALL

My quilt is TOO SMALL

I made a lovely OBW that we use on our bed, but my hubby is a cover thief. I'm going to add another border. I don't have any more of the original material but I do have more of the green strip that's in the small border.
    I'd like to add almost a foot all around but wonder if that's too much. more stripes would be awful. Suggestions?
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.ca

I wonder if perhaps a blue floral with the same scale/feel would work? The reason I say blue is because it would be next to the existing blue border. By the way, it's really beautiful!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!

We have the same problem but I am the thief. Got tired of his complaining so I made myself a quilt. I put his on his side and mine on my side. A large quilt is the spread, covers all when bed is made, we fold it down at night. Problem solved, I can wrap up all I want and never bother his covers.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Such a lovely quilt. Make another one but big enough for the bed or make another one for him and you hog this one.
    Anna Quilts

Your quilt is just gorgeous. I am always curious to see the fabric the OBW started from, so always felt I would buy extra yardage to do a border, or part of a border. Since you don't have that, I agree with picking any of the border fabrics & you applique some big free form flowers of the colors in the quilt. Guys don't usually want feminine, flowery stuff around them, so something totally different like 9 patches, or HST's to give you a ric rac feeling to the last border would be unique & none girly. Another possibility - log cabin blocks using all the colors in the quilt would give you quite a unique border. I love the artsy look of mixing the patterns.

Oh, I do agree with the comment on keep this one the way it is & make another.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I would leave the quilt just as it is and make another quilt big enough for the bed or get him a Walmart blanket--LOL. I have the same problem at my house so when my husband rotates to midnight shift he doesn't understand why I sleep better. That is such a beautiful quilt just the way it is I would figure out a plan B.
    Lisa Gibbs

Blog Entries
    beautiful quilt. if you have the blue flowers, a border of that, then the green. if not, then appliqueing on the green like previously suggested
    Nancy in western NY

A solid dark blue would really make this pop.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Do you have enough of the fabric leftover to make a few of the blocks and applique them randomly on the border fabric?

Or fussy cut shapes out of the main fabric to applique.

BTW, beautiful quilt!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast