Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My quilt is TOO SMALL

Blog Entries

My quilt is TOO SMALL

I made a lovely OBW that we use on our bed, but my hubby is a cover thief. I'm going to add another border. I don't have any more of the original material but I do have more of the green strip that's in the small border.
    I'd like to add almost a foot all around but wonder if that's too much. more stripes would be awful. Suggestions?
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I wonder if perhaps a blue floral with the same scale/feel would work? The reason I say blue is because it would be next to the existing blue border. By the way, it's really beautiful!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!

We have the same problem but I am the thief. Got tired of his complaining so I made myself a quilt. I put his on his side and mine on my side. A large quilt is the spread, covers all when bed is made, we fold it down at night. Problem solved, I can wrap up all I want and never bother his covers.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Such a lovely quilt. Make another one but big enough for the bed or make another one for him and you hog this one.
    Anna Quilts

Your quilt is just gorgeous. I am always curious to see the fabric the OBW started from, so always felt I would buy extra yardage to do a border, or part of a border. Since you don't have that, I agree with picking any of the border fabrics & you applique some big free form flowers of the colors in the quilt. Guys don't usually want feminine, flowery stuff around them, so something totally different like 9 patches, or HST's to give you a ric rac feeling to the last border would be unique & none girly. Another possibility - log cabin blocks using all the colors in the quilt would give you quite a unique border. I love the artsy look of mixing the patterns.

Oh, I do agree with the comment on keep this one the way it is & make another.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I would leave the quilt just as it is and make another quilt big enough for the bed or get him a Walmart blanket--LOL. I have the same problem at my house so when my husband rotates to midnight shift he doesn't understand why I sleep better. That is such a beautiful quilt just the way it is I would figure out a plan B.
    Lisa Gibbs

Blog Entries
    beautiful quilt. if you have the blue flowers, a border of that, then the green. if not, then appliqueing on the green like previously suggested
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

A solid dark blue would really make this pop.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Do you have enough of the fabric leftover to make a few of the blocks and applique them randomly on the border fabric?

Or fussy cut shapes out of the main fabric to applique.

BTW, beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say you made a lovely OBW - I'd say it's GORGEOUS! Looks like a flower bed in the middle of the lawn!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    ​Your quilt is beautiful and a large green border would be fine. Since your quit looks like a garden I wonder if you are up for using the dark green as a background and using the white picket fence border pattern? It would look awesome but a fair amount of work.

Im missing something....is the quilt completed? Looks like it's got binding on already....just curious how you would add to something that's already bound and quilted? Thanks it is beautiful!!!
    *Rachel*

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!
    Yes, I agree here. This piano keys suggestion would really make your beautiful quilt a masterpiece! I hope you decide to do this. I can picture it in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Your quilt is beautiful and a large green border would be fine. Since your quit looks like a garden I wonder if you are up for using the dark green as a background and using the white picket fence border pattern? It would look awesome but a fair amount of work.
    Tartan ... nothing is too difficult for Mary Katherine!

MK ... funny thing I was thinking much like Tartan!
    First of all, any chance that you could get more of the same OBW fabric? Lens has good sales on again. Another thought for the picket fence ... green grass in behind it. Here's some I bought for this project
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...n-t194381.html
    See post #27 and 139.
    The green grass has a little metallic in it ... and of course, that is, if by chance it's the right green for you. The photo does NOT show the IRL colour well. Lens had LOTS Of it when I bought it.

Or of course .... you could avoid the re-design issue and NOT enlarge the quilt, and make a new one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt. DH and I have separate covers on the bed. We have separate bath and closet too. After the first house I knew no more sharing of these. LOL
    Got fabric?

Beautiful quilt I would make bigger/wider blorder, whatever color to enlarge it. My Husband is a cover thief also, his side always ends up on the floor. In warm weather it is okay, cooler weather not so much. After 50 years of marriage he has just started this.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I agree, that a wide border around it with flowers appliqued would be great! For future reference, I have found a way to stretch my quilts with borders and bindings. Here is the post if you would like to see it. http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.c...ng%20a%20quilt Hope it gives you some inspiration!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Such a lovely quilt. Make another one but big enough for the bed or make another one for him and you hog this one.
    I agree! It is beautiful. I would make another one - what else do we have to do! I wouldn't change it. I would fold it and put it at the foot of the bed. The quilt is all finished and I think adding another border on it that isn't quilted would really look like an afterthought. Or, you could put it over a rocker. I wouldn't change it for anything - It is much too lovely. Make it a good day! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I also have a blanket thieving husband! I have decided to make two identical quilts to go on our king size bed so when placed side by side it looks like one big quilt covering the entire bed. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted you to know you are not alone in this predicament!
    Bobbi
    Quilting happily in Tennessee!

I think I'd make another one...then both can have one!

I vote for make another quilt. First find out if he likes this particular quilt or does he just want a quilt of his own. If it's this particular quilt, then either make another one like it but bigger. If he just wants a bigger quilt, let him help you decide on the design.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    very pretty quilt

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs View Post
    I would leave the quilt just as it is and make another quilt big enough for the bed or get him a Walmart blanket--LOL. I have the same problem at my house so when my husband rotates to midnight shift he doesn't understand why I sleep better. That is such a beautiful quilt just the way it is I would figure out a plan B.
    Lisa has the best idea here. You can make up another quilt and then have more scraps (Bonus!) and with those scraps and the scraps from the first, make a THIRD quilt! See how easy that was.
    There is a pattern called Lovers Knot-you can google it. Fast, pretty and the name says it all.

Lovely, lovely quilt. What about adding a boarder using the colors in the existing boarder. Extend 2" green, 1/2" yellow and 3" blue. It would be some work, but would be worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast