Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilting expense account just got CUT!!!!! >

My quilting expense account just got CUT!!!!!

My quilting expense account just got CUT!!!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Well, after numerous attempts to work out the problems of my 5 year old computer, I caved in and bought a new one. Bought a new copy machine too and put the old copier in my sewing room.

I figured I could do without more fabric but just couldn't do without the daily communication on this board that the computer affords us.

Was it a good move? It's not like I won't have any fabric to sew with! Maybe some of those UFO's will finally get finished.

So, farewell to all the fabric stores for now. Hope to see you next year.

To all my quilting friends, keep telling your stories about all the good finds and bargains you come across and I will be cheering for you while sitting in front of my new computer screen, looking a little green with envy.

Happy quilting!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

So sorry....but, great choice.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Same here, Rosemary. I was working 1-2 days per week: just enough to support my "habit". Now I'm working 1 or 2 days a month. I've been shopping in my stash (not large, but certainly ample). I'm finding things I forgot about and some things I'd like to forget about (you know, those "what was I thinking when I bought this fabric"). It's fun, but I'm worried about withdrawal pangs when I go to a quilt show this week-end. A fabric diet is worse than a food diet!!
Enjoy your new computer and let me know how you handle withdrawal!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alikat110
So sorry....but, great choice.
ditto
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM

I love getting new computers but hate having to pay for them. Fortunately this lap top is still plugging away after four years and I bought it used. I hope yours is everything you need it to be!

I had a great spring, summer and fall shopping and acquiring fabrics and notions for quilting and sewing this year. Something I've never done in the past. I was always a one project at a time kinda gal before. So, with winter coming on and the price of propane rising by the minute it seems I'm going to have to use what I have for the next eight months, until spring rolls around again. I'm actually looking forward to winter this year, staying in, snuggling up next to the heat stove and sewing until my heart's content. Sometimes it's good to have more than you need.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 AM

so sorry, :( but daily chit chat :D . and, you will be shopping from your on stash. it's a winning proposition for now.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I've been using computer since they were affordable for home use. Our first home computer was over $4000! I now buy the cheapest Walmart sells, they stay updated for two years and then buy another. The last laptop I bought was $279 and it has all the bells and whistles. I'll use it for a year or more and then be on the lookout for another great buy. I keep my old desk computer hooked to the router for wireless, no one ever uses it, it's so outdated and slow. I have bought Macs and they are great computers but for the cost I can have many new pcs and not keep the old one for years like I would if I spent thousands for a new Mac. I have an IPad and it's wonderful. I don't want to be without a fast good working computer no more then I want to do without a washer and dryer. LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM

maybe having to dip into your stash is not such a bad thing right now....then in the spring when you can go shopping again...you will have all kinds of room for new fabric.....you see there is a plan....
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Just think of it as a challenge on coming up with new ideas to use what you already have :-)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM

There's another sad part to this story!

I am going on a quilting retreat this Friday. It was already paid for so that is a bonus - BUT - guess I will have to handcuff my hands to the back of me so I won't get the urge to visit all the venders.

I promise I will ONLY work on my projects and not spend the change left in my coin purse on anything! I CAN do this, I CAN do this, I CAN do this!!!