Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with border ideas please >

Need help with border ideas please

Need help with border ideas please

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM

This is my 4 Patch Posie I have been making as my leaders and enders. I am now sewing the middle section together and will soon be ready for borders. I am tossing two titles back and forth, Sunrise Flash and Panda Morning.
I think if I put an orange border, it would detract from the sunrise section. Black is a possibility... but I want to add several borders to make this a throw size. I'm not really into wall hangings.
I have the one pieced border in mind (pictured) but am not sure it works. It would come after the first narrow border. I like it but DH thinks it is too pale in comparison.
For the first border, I even thought of orange around the sunrise section diagonally pieced into black for the rest. LOL
You see I need your input!!!

4PP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270012[/ATTACH]

possible border, will be only one square wide, not 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270013[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-269959.jpe   attachment-269960.jpe  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM

I agree with your husband. I'm not liking that border with the inner quilt, either. It needs to have bolder colors.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Being that you're wanting to increase the size of the project, how about some sashing and cornerstones? Take a look at the countless other 4PPs that have been shown for some ideas as to how this can be accomplished.

Also, for your border, the original fabric, could work well, if you should have enough.

ITA with the My2Pals and your DH, that the border blocks you have shown use are not the right colour match. I'd look at black for your main sash/border colour along with some batiks. The 4PPs are what you want to see, and not any bordering you create. It should be a frame, not a focal point.

Keep it simple and don't take the eye away from the beauty of what you already have.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

You could use stips for the border. Start out with a dark strip and then us a narrower light color strip and then do another dark strip. As for the colors have the black as the dark strips and then match the pink as the narrower strip.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wildyard
For the first border, I even thought of orange around the sunrise section diagonally pieced into black for the rest.
i like this idea for a first narrow border. any other pieced border may take away from your posies. i like the light green as a color, but think it would be too pale on it's own. maybe a narrow border, then a piano key border of the colors in your posies.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

I would definitely stick to solid colors on border
Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katsbmr
I would definitely stick to solid colors on border
I AGREE. Show us what just a black solid border would like like. I usually like an accent but with so many colors, it is difficult to say without seeing. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted .... GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM

I would use a small black border and then maybe some of the fabric you used to make your blocks.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Very Pretty!! For the first border I'd go with a black "frame" all the way around. For the 2nd border I'd use the orange print on the top and left side and pink on the bottom and right side. Last border might be black again but I'd have to audition it first. Enjoy the process whatever you decide
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I definitely wouldn't use the pieced border. It doesn't go with your 4PP although the fabrics are the same. Your 4PP placed as you have placed them have in effect created a new piece of fabric. Consider it as a whole, not as a construction of pieces. I recommend that your borders be solid colors and that you put black next to the 4PP.