Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Necessary Wallet pattern >

The Necessary Wallet pattern

The Necessary Wallet pattern

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Default The Necessary Wallet pattern

I would like to make a wallet from, 'The Necessary Wallet' pattern. I haven't found the pattern in a quilt shop as of yet. I can purchase the PDF pattern online. I am wondering if the PDF pattern would be as easy to print off and be to the correct size etc as the actual pattern. Has anyone used the PDF pattern and liked it or would it be simpler to actually have the pattern pieces already made up to correct size?
Thank you for any information
Old 03-10-2015, 11:07 AM

Any pattern you purchase as a PDF would work just as well as a paper pattern purchased in a store. You just need to make sure that your printer doesn't change the size, and you print it at 100%. Almost every PDF pattern I have used has something on it to measure to make sure it is the right size... eg a one inch square when measured is actually one inch after printing, and the pattern will work out. If that square is not one inch, then you need to determine what needs to be changed when printing to make sure the pattern prints at the correct size. Usually there isn't any problems, but some printer seem to have a mind of their own, and don't want to print actual size.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Depending on your version of Adobe Acrobat, there is usually a check box on the print window. You need to ensure "scaling" is not checked or you have clicked "actual size".
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM

I've never had any problems with PDF patterns, and I actually prefer them because hi, *immediate gratification*!! Lol
Old 03-10-2015, 12:18 PM

I prefer pdf too. They don't take up so much room in my sewing room. lol. I love the necessary wallet too. It's my everyday wallet that I actually use as a purse. If you really want a paper pattern, you can order one from emmaline bags: http://www.emmalinebags.com/the-nece...let/4575098877

I also highly recommend her hardware for it. The turn buckle is really nice, with screws to attach it to the flap.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

I took a look at the wallet and it looks very much like one I made from a SewChristine tutorial. I tried to find the website, but no luck. She called it an Accordion Wallet. I made a few changes and additions, and it is everything I've ever wanted and needed in a wallet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513166[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015-01-01-wallet-interior.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM

Thanks for your hints and tipst!! Sounds like a PDF is the way to go! I too like 'instant gratification' when purchasing something. McKwilter love your wallet!!

Here is a link to Sew Christine Tutorials;
http://sewchristine.blogspot.com/p/tutorials.html
Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Wow, that does look similar. I do like the shape of the flap on the NCW and the little extra piece on it but that would be easy enough to alter on your own. I also don't care for velcro so I would substitute something for that but again, it's something you can customize easily.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 AM

This picture was of my first attempt. There were some problems with the pattern, so I altered it a little, made it an inch wider and longer than the original. The credit card pockets were too tight to easily remove and replace the cards, and instead of putting the credit card pockets in the back, I put them on the front of each of the zipper pockets. That way, I had space for my grocery cards, loyalty/bonus cards, gift cards, etc. I put two pockets on the back -- one for bills and one for receipts (which I used to just drop in the bottom of my purse). I used velcro because I didn't want to use a magnetic clasp, which can screw up the strip on your credit cards. I also put a mesh pocket on the back of one of the zipper pockets, but it made the seams very bulky on that pocket, so I didn't put it on the other two. The back pocket is big enough to hold my phone.

One thing I am thinking about is putting small "D" rings on the sides so that I could put a strap on it. The main question is where. Or I might put a sleeve on the inside into which I could insert a bar with connectors on each side.

Last edited by mckwilter; 03-11-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
This picture was of my first attempt. There were some problems with the pattern, so I altered it a little, made it an inch wider and longer than the original. The credit card pockets were too tight to easily remove and replace the cards, and instead of putting the credit card pockets in the back, I put them on the front of each of the zipper pockets. That way, I had space for my grocery cards, loyalty/bonus cards, gift cards, etc. I put two pockets on the back -- one for bills and one for receipts (which I used to just drop in the bottom of my purse). I used velcro because I didn't want to use a magnetic clasp, which can screw up the strip on your credit cards. I also put a mesh pocket on the back of one of the zipper pockets, but it made the seams very bulky on that pocket, so I didn't put it on the other two. The back pocket is big enough to hold my phone.

One thing I am thinking about is putting small "D" rings on the sides so that I could put a strap on it. The main question is where. Or I might put a sleeve on the inside into which I could insert a bar with connectors on each side.
I like the look of your wallet but can't find the tutorial, even after going to both of the SewChristine blogs.