Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on making a design wall.... >

Need advice on making a design wall....

Need advice on making a design wall....

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM

is there a fabric that holds the blocks real good? Right now I'm using flannel on a "blank" wall and hanging from a curtain rod. Would felt be any better. I have also thought of covering a large piece of some sort of foam board and attaching it to the wall.

Thanks for any input you can give me.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I like using Warm and Natural batting.. the blocks cling to it really well. :D:D:D
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Cyn

I take a large cheap flannel backed table cloth and tack it ot the wall or hang it up on a dowel- I have two- flannel side showing. It works like a charm for me!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM

You can get sheets of foam insulating board at a home supply store and cover them with Warm and Natural batting or craft felt. The blocks will stick to either very well.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM

I too was using a flannel backed tablecloth on a wall hanging from a curtain rod, but everytime I went to put a block on it ,the cloth moved so decided to just tack the cloth right to the wall
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

I had bought a big piece of black felt material that use see in the big bolts.You can also get other colors if you want. The size is about as big as a king or queen bed and I just tacked it up on a wall that way you can work a small piece of your quilt or set the whole thing together up there to see what it looks like. And as for the loose threads I just take one of those rollers to clean them off of it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I had my Hubby go to Lowes and get me a thick panel of insulation foam board, cut some inches off one end, went to Walmart got some thick Flanel and jsut covered the board and first pined the edges in and made it taught, and then ran a bead of fabrick glue around it.... VOLE!!! a great workable design board and it can be movedaround... sideways or upright...works great for me... My sewing room is a spare room up stairs here, and I have a trundle bed in there so I just put it on the bed right next to my macine and work off of it ...and it is cheep I say!!! :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM

I had my Hubby go to Lowes and get me a thick panel of insulation foam board, cut some inches off one end, went to Walmart got some thick Flanel and jsut covered the board and first pined the edges in and made it taught, and then ran a bead of fabrick glue around it.... VOLE!!! a great workable design board and it can be movedaround... sideways or upright...works great for me... My sewing room is a spare room up stairs here, and I have a trundle bed in there so I just put it on the bed right next to my macine and work off of it ...and it is cheep I say!!! :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM

oops! don't know whay that posted twice????
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM

I'm thinking of installing some type of track above the closet in my sewing room & attaching clamps/clips some how so I can then hang a design wall or my completed quilts to take pictures. I have a design picture in my mind...just need to figure out where/how to get the parts to create it in real life.