Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need advice

It wasn't that I was commissioned to make a quilt, but I volunteered to sew together a quilt for a young widow. She brought her husband's tee shirts over; I pressed interfacing on the tees and put a quilt top together. She asked me to use vellux blanket material as the backing for the quilt.

I am so traditional in this respect - I cannot bring myself to use it as a backing. I have to know if it is a good idea or let go of it because it is not mine to choose how it is completed. I am grateful to know my quilter is willing to give it a try.

Has anyone have any experience with this? I would highly appreciate feedback.

sorry I can help have never used vellux blanket material. not sure that i have even hear of it. sorry. But bless you for the kindness you are doneing for the young ladie.

My Vellux blankets wear heavily where there is a pressure point on them such as the corners of the bed.

If she is looking for a soft backing, maybe you can suggest fleece or minkee.

Perhaps the vellux blanket has some sentimental value. If so, I would just use it.
    Or, perhaps offer to make pillows out of the vellux blanket.

How kind of you to reach out and make this for her.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    let it go...it might mean more to her...BUT it might not hurt to ask her why she wants that used..perhaps she does not know any better! and if she wants soft backing, maybe flannel would be good!

I agree that my vellux blankets all have a tendency to wear a little on areas of pressure, like the velvet part rubs off...If she is not asking you to use it due to sentiment, maybe you can explain to her that you want her special quilt to be awesome, and last a long time, and that you are not sure the vellux blanket will be right for it...then offer a different soft backing, as the others suggested...
    I also agree how kind of you, and I know you are probably getting just as much out of making it for her..
    Blessings,
    Kif

I would explain to her that it probably wasn't a good idea to use vellux on the back and why.( It won't hold up well, it will be very hard to quilt, etc. ) Then I would suggest either minke or flannel as a very soft and warm alternative. Hopefully she will be open to your suggestions. I wish you luck!

How nice of you to make the quilt for her. She will always remember your kindness.

Blog Entries
    We have tried to use old Vellux blankets for filling in Lutheran World Relief quilts. NEVER AGAIN! Whatever is used for adhesive binders in the quilts is very sticky. It gums up needles like crazy. I would do a lot of test stitching without thread before I used it for backing. Good luck!

Very nice of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast