Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Comments - Good & Bad - Bernina 880 >

Need Comments - Good & Bad - Bernina 880

Need Comments - Good & Bad - Bernina 880

Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the good input. I purchased the 880 and am waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer. I've had a Bernina 1620 for 22 years and still love it. I feel like I am being disloyal to a machine that has served so well, but the new machines do so much more and I'm excited to try. This is my retirement gift to myself! Wish me luck

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I'm on my 4th Bernina and would not buy anything else now. My current machine is the B570, an upgrade from the B440 that was my workhorse for almost 10 years (and now lives at my friends house). Although I don't own an 880, I have sewn on one. I work at my Bernina dealer 1 day a week, just an after-retirement part time gig to get me out of the house and doing creative things. I get to spend time sewing on the demo machines, making shop samples. Then I got "told" to use the higher end models so I know them well enough to demonstrate them to customers. I was actually intimidated by how sophisticated the 880 is until I actually sat down and started using it. The big color touch screen is just like using a computer tablet, and the menus are logical. I love the 12-inch throat on the 880, the thread cutter, and the directional stitching that will do micro-stippling (I have quilted table runners with this stitch). The embroidery is fabulous. Only the 880 can use the jumbo hoop (10 x 16), which I would love to use for quilting with the embroidery module. The 880 is a great machine, but like any sophisticated equipment, there is a learning curve. The training classes are critical. Make sure you have a good dealer that offers the training classes (required by Bernina). The 880 should have 4-6 class series, plus a couple more on the embroidery functions. If this machine is in your budget, spend same time at the dealer and try it out with your fabric and thread. Only you can decide if it is right for you and your dealer shouldn't mind you taking the time to be sure.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
Thank you for the good input. I purchased the 880 and am waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer. I've had a Bernina 1620 for 22 years and still love it. I feel like I am being disloyal to a machine that has served so well, but the new machines do so much more and I'm excited to try. This is my retirement gift to myself! Wish me luck
Best of luck, and it would be great if you post updates on your experience with this machine. I'm sure it will be a great experience.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 AM
anonymous

Over a year now, wondering how you like your 880?

Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 AM

The 880 is the most amazing machine ever! I went from a pretty standard Bernina 1630 to the computerized machine so it was totally new to me and I love it. There is a learning curve so if you are thinking about purchasing one be sure you have a dealer with good support.

(Everything in my house is now embroidered! That was the feature I never thought I would use.) Enjoy.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

So glad you like your machine. I think Bernina is the best out there. I've had mine for years and it's never let me down.