Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to create a quilt

Blog Entries

Need to create a quilt

I have been asked to make a quilt for a future DIL of a friend of mine, and am stumped...... My friend said that she would like a personized quilt that portrays her. This girl is a music therapist, likes earthy tones and loathes girly girl frills. I asking for some ideas to make this quilt...........please help.
    Happiest when sewing,
    Irene

Do you know if she likes traditional quilts or more modern ones?
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    I have recently worked with patterns like Venetian Dream and all of the BQ patterns and with the appropriate (musical) fabrics I think you could create something wonderful fairly quickly. Please show us what you end up creating; I am sure it will be fabulous and loved.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

I think that a lot of old, traditional patterns done in mono-chromatic color schemes can have a very modern look. Something in strictly earth tones can be very striking, modern, and not girly! My latest quilt in earth tones for my daughter has that look, I think.

Sometimes simple is best and it sounds like she may prefer simple and classic.

I recently bought two fabrics from Hancock's that were earth tone and had musical scales on them. You might check into that...or I bet you can find music themed fabric online easily. I have no suggestions for a pattern though.

I would do a piano key boarder where it is more like a a key board. Abduction do them in black and cream.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Last edited by dakotamaid; 11-15-2011 at 03:55 AM.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Sounds like to me that she is a simple kind of person. Music therapy people tend to be naturalist, vegans, you know the type. I think I would lean towards a Batik quilt with earthy tones. Google Batik quilts. There's may beautiful patterns, a simple pattern would be the way I would go. The music themed quilt might be a little too "quirky".

I just made a crazy quilt out of all creams and light neutrals. I varied the fabric textures by using cotton velveteen, linen, premium muslin and good-quality quilting weight fabric. It turned out just beautifully - very modern and tranquil. I didn't do any embroidery but rather just had it all-over stipple quilted. It may be one of my favorite quilts! I started with a 13" lightweight muslin foundation and then after piecing it, trimmed it to 12.5". I have a tutorial on my blog {www.andiejohnsonsews.blogspot.com - click on the tutorials tab} that gives directions on how to make a quick scrappy crazy block. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Andie
    http://andiejohnsonsews.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @andiejohnsonsew

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great ideas y'all! I've decided on one from one of the links......I'll go see my friend in the morning to show her, the hope to get a go ahead. What I'll make off it will be just in time for Christmas....yea!
    Thanks again!
    Happiest when sewing,
    Irene

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast