Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old. >

Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old.

Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Red face Need a "first" project idea for 7-year old.

After reading several recommendations for a "first" machine for my 7-year GD, I bought her the Janome Mini for Christmas. She just about went bananas. Now she is itching to use it. I need some ideas for a first project, i.e., small throw, wall hanging. I think I will probably do the cutting and she'll do the sewing on her NEW MACHINE!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter View Post
After reading several recommendations for a "first" machine for my 7-year GD, I bought her the Janome Mini for Christmas. She just about went bananas. Now she is itching to use it. I need some ideas for a first project, i.e., small throw, wall hanging. I think I will probably do the cutting and she'll do the sewing on her NEW MACHINE!
is she just wanting to sew or to do a quilty project? I'd suggest a pillowcase first. She can use it tonight.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM
dd

Pillowcases are very easy. She would probably like pj pants. They don't really need to be fitted. Tote bag or purse. There are a lot of nice easy patterns in the accessories section of the patterns books. And even more on the internet. A lot of the ones online are free. Have fun!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

If she wants to do a quilting project, why not a simple jelly roll race type quilt ... maybe with strips that are 5" wide. It would go together fast and could be back with fleece and tied. Something she could finish during school vacation.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM

How about the tissue holders discussed here before Christmas?:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...r-t107636.html

The 7 year old neighbor girls did those for Christmas gifts, and they went together so quickly, since the seams are so short. Because of the lining, it seemed like magic to them when they made the final turn inside right.

We also did simple small pillows -- lots of fun with the stuffing, and they did hand sewing of the opening. It was good practice.

Enjoy your time with her!

Dayle
Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM

In summer classes at Home Extension we used paper with drawn lines for beginners to sew w/o thread until they became accustomed to their machine. These could be computer generated with straight lines and corners an/or circles. They were instructed into the use of the machine and how to thread it. They made some simple joining seams and when completed, they received a certificate for accomplishment. They loved the certificate with their name, date and instructors name. Just an idea for you.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
In summer classes at Home Extension we used paper with drawn lines for beginners to sew w/o thread until they became accustomed to their machine. These could be computer generated with straight lines and corners an/or circles. They were instructed into the use of the machine and how to thread it. They made some simple joining seams and when completed, they received a certificate for accomplishment. They loved the certificate with their name, date and instructors name. Just an idea for you.

I like that Idea! Wish I had thought of it! I wonder if it would work for practicing FMQ on my machine? It sure would save a lot of thread and a lot of cussing!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM

How about a simple Rail Fence pattern. Simple to cut, simple to sew, and depending on the fabrics, it can be very lovely.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM

I love the pillowcase idea because I have a seven year old and I know the thrill of making it - then SLEEPING with it!!! You could also make a little tote with her...I made both of my daughters totes for taking clothes and toys to visit Nana and Papa. They like to fill them up with random things to take on shopping days or to the restraunt. Lol*

Another thought - my daughters used transferable fabric crayons to make a t-shirt for my Husband one year. That would be fun, she could draw a picture then put it on a tote or something like that.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
How about a simple Rail Fence pattern. Simple to cut, simple to sew, and depending on the fabrics, it can be very lovely.
Definitely a triple rail fence pattern if you're talking a quilt project. It's nearly an immediate gratification because once the strips are sewn in sets of three, the blocks are done....all you have to do is cut them.

It also teaches these young ones left and right brain activity, from choosing colors to rotating the blocks and matching colors to lay out the top. That's the hardest part of the whole thing and the best for their sweet, curious little brains!

Here is my graphic for a triple rail fence idea. It uses three color families and three rails, but you could do it with two color families and three rails as well.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails jans-triple-rail-pattern.jpg