Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help/Advice Fixing Kenmore 16231 Sewing Machine >

Need Help/Advice Fixing Kenmore 16231 Sewing Machine

Need Help/Advice Fixing Kenmore 16231 Sewing Machine

Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Hi. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it did not take me to any repair instructions, just to various search results for buying sewing machines and other appliances. I'll keep looking.
...dany
Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by danydany View Post

PS--How's the weather in Outer Space?
It's very cold:>
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by danydany View Post
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I do have the owner's manual already, and it does not address getting into the "guts" of the machine to fix it. What I am looking for is the *repair* manual (the shop manual), not the owner's manual. But thanks for the info.
...dany
I too looked at that website and figured if you bought more than one machine new, you had a few manuals BUT take a look at that service manual that is there. At 29 pages to print out, you may get some help from the section on the stitch selector. Granted, the service manual is for a different and older model, but much of the advice carries over to models by the same manufacturer. The best part about that service manual is the part that gives detailed info on taking apart the casing to get to the inner workings. In googling Kenmore 385.16231, it appears several people have asked for help regarding that knob. One of the suggestions was using a hair dryer to soften the grease, no dismantle needed. It looks like a good machine with 32 reviews on sewingpatternreview. I don't have any kenmores that new, all older and heavy as boat anchors. I think Janome deliberately built in way too many steps for operating the kenmores, stitch length at longest, take-up lever at hightest, stars all lined up, toes crossed etc. before moving the knob, nothing intuitive about it. The sewer may have jammed that cam past it's proper place, and there is info in that service manual for cam servicing. All you have to lose is ink and 29 sheets of paper.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Have you tried taking off the top cover and anything else that comes off easily?
...That seems always to be the first step. Then I would turn the wheel by hand, change knob positions, etc. while watching the "innards" work. I could usually spot the problem area that way.

My best guess is that there is a plastic part inside that got broken. There is no easy fix for that. Your best bet would be to find an older sewing machine repair guy (or shop owner) and take the machine in to explain what happened to it. I used to donate the thrift machines I fixed up. On one machine the foot broke while I was cleaning it. Took the broken foot to an old shop owner and explained I needed a replacement. He went into the back of the shop, came out with a foot he had scavenged from a non-working machine, and didn't charge me anything.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think you are right about a plastic part may be broken. I guess I will get my tool kit together and take it to class next time, and see what I can see. And it's nice that you have an old shop owner to go to. I don't know of any in the area that I would go to. (I have had some unsatisfactory experiences locally.) I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out in the future.
...dany
Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0410144.pdf

Could this be the service manual? I was googling for an image and this came up.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I too looked at that website and figured if you bought more than one machine new, you had a few manuals BUT take a look at that service manual that is there. At 29 pages to print out, you may get some help from the section on the stitch selector. Granted, the service manual is for a different and older model, but much of the advice carries over to models by the same manufacturer. The best part about that service manual is the part that gives detailed info on taking apart the casing to get to the inner workings......... All you have to lose is ink and 29 sheets of paper.
Hi. I think I am thoroughly confused. I went to the link given, and got a 117-page manual, that is the USER manual, but in multiple languages. I did not see any information about taking the casing apart to get to the inner workings. I'm stumped. But thanks for trying.
...dany
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0410144.pdf

Could this be the service manual? I was googling for an image and this came up.
Woo Hoo!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! That does indeed appear to be the SERVICE manual. I could swear I googled for the information, but I never found that link. (But then, I'm one who gets street lights to go off by driving under them. And the computer misbehaves for me, and when I call my husband in to show him, it behaves perfectly. Or differently. Or both. Argh.)

I guess we will see what happens with my efforts to fix the machine.
...dany
Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Glad to know that's it! I was just looking to see what the machine looked like and saw this link. Sometimes it happens when you least expect it!! Let us know if you get it fixed.