Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with borders!

Need help with borders!

I'm making a queen size Labyrinth quilt for a woman that will be giving it to her sister as a wedding gift. I have the inside of the top done, but I'm not sure what to do about the borders. The problem is the top and bottom of the quilt. In order to make the quilt a queen size, Debbie Maddie decided to make what should be a square quilt into a rectangle by adding two pieces on the top and bottom to stretch it out. The pattern calls for 3 borders: 2 1/2", 3 1/2" and 10". I was going to use fabric from the top, but I'm having trouble picking the colors. In the picture, you can see that the fabric on the ends are dark blue and the sides end in white. I had thought about cutting a strip of the dark blue off at both ends and adding a strip of white, then using the dark blue as the first border (2 1/2), then white (10") and finish with the blue print from the inside square. Does anybody have another idea?

BTW, the white is actually whiter than it looks on my tan comforter and the dark blue looks like it is draping over the end of the bed, but it actually comes right to the edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

I'd use the dark blue for the first border, then the 2 blues from the inner star for the next 2. Very pretty quilt.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Nice quilt.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    No ideas, but very, very pretty quilt.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Just my humble opinion, but I would make the "extensions" from thebackground fabric, which will "float" the gorgeous medallion. Then do the graduated blue borders as recommended. It means some seam ripping, but I think you'll be happier with the end result.
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

I am no help with borders....can't even decide my own, but I love this quilt!! Beautiful.

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    Just my humble opinion, but I would make the "extensions" from thebackground fabric, which will "float" the gorgeous medallion. Then do the graduated blue borders as recommended. It means some seam ripping, but I think you'll be happier with the end result.
    I had thought about that. I'm not sure why she didn't do it that way. I've never had a quilt with the sides different colors! I'll have to go buy some more of the white on white. Seam ripping is no problem, LOL, I'm good at it!

Blog Entries
    Why not add a border to each side that matches the panels on the top and bottom of the quilt, and then go from there? The center medallion would be framed perfectly.
    Sue