Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help,choosing serger... >

Need help,choosing serger...

Need help,choosing serger...

Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 PM

I would never own anything other than a Babylock with air threading. Threading these things can be a nightmare
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 PM

I have had a Viking serger for 23 years and it has been wonderful. It has sewed thousands of miles with lots of kinds of threads for lots of kinds of projects. Friends especially ask me to edge baby blankets. I have sewed at least a hundred tee shirts. I don't find it that hard to thread. Most of the time you can just tie on the new thread and pull it through, then thread the needle and you are off sewing again. I think you will find that the babylock with air threading is a lot more expensive. Good luck, I hope you find one that you can enjoy.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM

I was just at my local sewing machine retailer talking to a saleswomen and she said she uses the babylock, that they are THE BEST sergers on the market.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 AM

I can not comment on your 2 choices. I just bought a used Babylock Eclipse for $150. It is old but still works great. I love the air threading. I really don't see using it much since I am a quilter.But I have been working with it for the last couple of weeks. My first project was to practice by overlocking the edge of a large piece of fleece and making a fleece throw. Then I have played with it to gather fabric for the skirt of T-shirt dresses. It doesn't automatically gather as much as I had hoped (when using a ruffler foot). I like really full gathers. This was minimal. However, I am still using it with the differential feed (no ruffle foot) and then pull the needle threads. I think this is a little easier than long basting stitches on my regular machine and then pulling the threads.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:57 AM

I love my Baby Lock serger. I have a friend that has a White serger and she has a terrible time threading hers. My Baby Lock has the jet air threading and in my opinion, is worth every penny.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
My daughter asked me about 2 models but I really domt know much about sergers. The models she is looking at are a Brother 5234 for $449 used. Also a Viking Husquavarna 2995for $499. Any ideas on these models or can you recommend a good option in the $500 range ...preferably self threading? Thanks for,the help.
I love. Y Bernina.
Bernina.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 AM

I love. My Bernina
emjay
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Brother 1043D. Around $200. Not air threaded but easy enough for me to do it if I don't just pull the threads through. There are several You Tube tutorials on how to do this. I use it a lot for non quilting projects.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 PM

I belong to the Babylock Fan club! Have had my Imagine for years will replace when necessary!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:27 AM

I love Viking and Babylock. I bought a Viking this past yr, a demo at such a great low price I couldn't resist. Its second in line to their top one. Self adjusting tension, the works and easy to thread. Then I went to a serger demo for Babylock thinking I'd get some new ideas on using mine. Well I fell in love with the new Ovation and the wave stitch. Knowing I could easily get my 500 back for my Viking, it sells for way over 1,000 and since I never registered it it should still have orginal warranty so I bought the Ovation. I love it; I have been taking classes and so far I've done two jackets, a heirloom nightgown, a table runner with decrotive stitching, in the process making a log cabin using fleece, it lays so nice and goes together so fast. Next month we are doing a tote. All of these are done 100% on the serger. our teacher says, yes she knows alot of this stuff can be done on a regular machine but since its a serger class we use it. Love my serger and hopefully soon I'll take the time to list my Viking serger for sell. Unlike a sewing machine or my emb I don't see the need for two sergers. Go to classes, watch you tube, etc and you'll be surprised at what you can do. I also have been making lots of fleece throws for my kids, grandkids, etc and its so much easier than a machine. Either machine will be great, check out the features and what all is available and find out what you like. If possible, buy from a dealer who will give classes and be there when needed.