Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with fabric.

Went garge saleing today & found a Rubbermaid tote full of material for $5.00. Had to buy it!!! Now for my 2 questions. I found 5 yards of beautiful sheer sucker in tote, but that is too thin to use as quilt backing, right? Also tote contained lots of drapery fabric, cotton, but I think it is too heavy to use in quilts. Would like to know what you think. By the way was on vacation for 7 days & even though I am a new member, I missed looking at the message board every day. I think I am hooked.

I would think a good seersucker would be the same as a good plain cotton. I'm thinking you could use any of those materials for a quilt, as long as they go with your design and the weight of the other fabrics.

I know what you mean about being addicted to this site! Me, too!

If you think it is too thin, try a light interfacing with it. For upholstery scraps, a crazy quilt table runner or pillow could be an interesting challenge.

I would think seersucker would be fine for front or back of a quilt.

The drapery material in my opinion might be to heavy in general but what about using it for throw pillows backings with quilt designs on the front, using the drapery material as a border and piping also. Or for backings on table runners- would be heavier to protect the table top.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Welcome home from vacation. YOu are addicted already. I take my laptop and make sure where I stay has wifi. LOL

quiltingboard.com
    Name:  Attachment-107253.gif
Views: 11
Size:  34.2 KB

Blog Entries
    You could use the upholstery fabric for tote bags.

upholstery fabric makes nice purses too! Doggie beds, use your leftover scraps and batting (the stuff you usually throw out) for stuffing. works great, just sew up a pillow case pattern, stuff, and sew the end! Nice for poochie!

in my hunt for material I have found lots of insulated curtain material and I am making shopping bags out of them.

I'm making totes out of various types of home decor fabrics...from the heavy upholstry stuff to the regular drapery material that is somewhat heavier than the usual quilting fabric.

Seersucker makes a lovely backing for a quilt...nice and soft.

Blog Entries
    I would wash and dry all of the fabric. Then decide what you want to use in a quilt :wink: Some may not hold up very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast