Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with a 5 inch sqare of fabric - need to use it in a 10 inch block?

Blog Entries

Need help with a 5 inch sqare of fabric - need to use it in a 10 inch block?

The sewing group i belong to issued a challenge to all members. We are to make a 10 inch block using a 5 inch square they gave us. I am stumped on what to do with it! It is a yellow with brown/gold lines through it - looks almost like a batik. Any ideas or suggestions? I have some brown that would look nice but trying to think of a pattern to use and also another color to make the block pop. Wish I had a camera that I could post a picture of the fabric. Thanks!

I'm not very imaginative, you'll probably get lots of cute ideas. But you could use it as the center of an eight point star; use flying geese on the sides to form the star points. Sounds like a fun challenge!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Make a square in a square.

Could it be a window? Perhaps it needs a window frame and a sweet, little kitty, appliquéd onto the sill.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Well, this comes from waaay out in left field, but what about a crazy quilt patch? You could use several different fabrics and embellish with fancy stitches and different coloured threads. Then frame the whole thing with a narrow border.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster
    Can you cut the 5 inch square? Do you have to use it all? How many other fabrics can you add? I would use graph paper and work out a few designs cutting it in 4 squares and then a few designs cutting it into 4 triangles. It would make a nice center for an Ohio Star block. If you don't have to use it all, an applique block has endless possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Well, this comes from waaay out in left field, but what about a crazy quilt patch? You could use several different fabrics and embellish with fancy stitches and different coloured threads. Then frame the whole thing with a narrow border.
    Great idea, would be adorable.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Go to MSQC Jenny does everything with 5",10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. Many ideas there......

You could do this http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6059315 . Though I wouldn't add the strips because the other pieces would be too narrow. I think something orange would pop with the yellow and brown fabrics.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Go to MSQC Jenny does everything with 5",10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. Many ideas there......
    So many patterns can be made with 5" charm squares !! Falling Charms comes to mind first.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Have you thought of the fold and quilt? I think it is on youtube.

What is your favorite block to make or go to www.quilterscache.com and look at the 10" blocks listed and pick one you have never made before. Add other fabrics think out side your comfort zone, turquoise and brown look incredible together. Good luck and have fun with it. Remember it's not worth doing if you can't have fun with it.

I love the idea of the attic window block with a kitty or a puppy..
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Go to here
    New Fold And Sew Style Quilts Instruction Video Links

I am always on the lookout for new sewing/quilting techniques to experiment and incorporate into my own creations. Here is the new Fold And Sew technique that is so quick and interesting to do. I cannot wait to try it. The two Websites featured below is to allow you access in case one of them proves to be difficult to access the same video on it.
    This is from the Dec 31, 2014 quilting board. You will love it!

You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV64kXet7s

I just watched the fold and sew video and even tho it seems quick and easy, all I could think about was all the fabric that was being wasted and how could I do it and still get the fabric out that was not needed. LOL
    I think this speaks of my stash stretching tendencies.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.