Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric >

Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM

I am having a hard time keeping my ruler from slipping on the fabric when cutting wof. I have put the plastic non slip on the ruler and that helps. I have had some spinal cord damage and am not strong enough to keep ruler from slipping and it makes my seams uneven. Anyone have an ideas on what to use. Have seen some stick on handles, but unsure if they are worth the investment.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 AM

I have seen it suggested on here to use the suction cup handles for showers that are sold at Wal-mart and such. People say they can be easily moved from ruler to ruler and are cheaper than "quilting" handles.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

I've heard of people putting sandpaper dots (self adhesive type) on their acrylic rulers to eliminate slipping.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I have tried the plastic film on the back of my rulers and the little plastic round things and sandpaper rounds. None work that well and the clear plastic rounds are thick so they catch on the fabric so they were the worst.
It is still best to walk you hand up the ruler as you cut.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Are you folding the fabric in half or in quarters to cut it, I find trying to cut it only folded once it is to long a cut and it is a lot harder than if you put the second fold in, and then I can also use a shorter ruler which is easier to manipulate it as well,
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

I have nerve damage and have the same problem. I do suggest getting the shower grip at Wal-Mart, you'll find it back in pharmacy where they have the disabled aids. These have a stronger suction than the ones made for quilting rulers. I tried the sandpaper dots but found the grit of the sandpaper wasn't big enough to actually hold. I went to Lowe's and found adhesive sandpaper with a larger grit that holds pretty good. Between these two items, I can pretty much anything I want.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
cjc

Try a Fiskars rotary ruler. The blade is attached to the ruler. I found several places online that sell them by googling 'Fiskars rotary ruler'. Walmart also sells them.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM

If you have a Harbor Freight Tool Store near you the shower suctioned handles are a lot cheaper there. I bought mine in October 09 for $6.00 for the large double suction handles and the small single ones for $0.99 each. I bought several of the small single ones. They both work great.
DeeDee
Old 01-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by NauDeeGal
If you have a Harbor Freight Tool Store near you the shower suctioned handles are a lot cheaper there. I bought mine in October 09 for $6.00 for the large double suction handles and the small single ones for $0.99 each. I bought several of the small single ones. They both work great.
DeeDee

:-D Thank you for the tip. I never would have thought to look at Harbor Freight. Will have to look the next time I'm in the city. Will have to let Mom and SIL know too as they both quilt also :D
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I also tried the plastic dots and sandpaper, but found the clear plastic better. I am just not able to apply enough pressure with hand alone. Walking up the fabric didn't work either and neither did folding fabric in half again. Will defintely try shower thingies.