Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help on log cabins >

Need help on log cabins

Need help on log cabins

Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 AM

I'm sewing a log cabin quilt for the first time and need some help. No matter how I try to mix and match the log cabin borders to my HSTs, I'm still not satisfied. Somehow there are always some blocks that end up with very bad combination.

Appreciate any advice here!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

are you over complicating?
log cabin's (usually) only need to have strips sorted into light and dark- lights go on 2 sides, darks the other 2...the log-cabins work...i'm a bit confused about your (half square triangles???) a log cabin block usually starts with a center square (traditionally red or yellow-the home hearth fire) then *logs* are added in a counter clockwise direction around the center square- for how ever rounds are required to make the size block you want.
and make blocks and put them aside- on a design wall if you have one- when you stand back and look you may find the ones you don't think work- work just fine- it is the values (lights and darks) that make log cabin blocks work
Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
log cabin's (usually) only need to have strips sorted into light and dark- lights go on 2 sides, darks the other 2...the log-cabins work...i'm a bit confused about your (half square triangles???) a log cabin block usually starts with a center square (traditionally red or yellow-the home hearth fire) then *logs* are added in a counter clockwise direction around the center square- for how ever rounds are required to make the size block you want.
and make blocks and put them aside- on a design wall if you have one- when you stand back and look you may find the ones you don't think work- work just fine- it is the values (lights and darks) that make log cabin blocks work
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. When I mentioned HSTs, I mean that I'm using them to form into pinwheel square blocks, followed by the log cabins. I have a feeling it's because I didn't select the light/dark fabrics properly in the first place. Do the lights and darks go on opposite or alternate sides?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM

Do you have a specific pattern that you're making (if so, please let us know the name) or are you designing as you go?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 AM

a picture would be nice to see what you are doing.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

Could we see a picture please.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
Originally Posted by ckcowl
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. When I mentioned HSTs, I mean that I'm using them to form into pinwheel square blocks, followed by the log cabins. I have a feeling it's because I didn't select the light/dark fabrics properly in the first place. Do the lights and darks go on opposite or alternate sides?
Typically you would have light on two adjoining sides and darks on the other two adjoining sides. Do a search for log cabin and take a look at how they are set to give you an idea.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link to the log cabin gallery on this site. Lots of ideas!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2203
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 AM

don't look at each piece. Wait until the whole goes together then the odd/ugly/pieces you think don't work, will work. In a scrappy-style quilt, everything works as a whole even if the pieces are off. Just like the Gestalt theory, the whole is greater than the sums of the parts. It is true.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM

The quilt I'm working on looks like this when finished. However, I'm using a different collection of fabrics. Based on a scrappy log cabin quilt like this, is there a specific way I should arrange my strips? For eg, if I put 2 light or 2 dark fabrics adjacent to each other, can it work?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209458.jpe