Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help making decisions re: online dealers & Juki >

need help making decisions re: online dealers & Juki

need help making decisions re: online dealers & Juki

Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi, everybody

I am looking at getting a new machine. I want more space in the throat/harp. I want to be able to adjust pressure on presser foot. I want to be able to quilt something bigger than a postage stamp without lots of hassles. I want a machine with a smooth, even bed and no hump to go over on either the needle plate or on the cover for the feed dogs.

Some of that I can fix with additional items on my machine, but the pressure issue is a problem with me & using the walking foot as the pressure is too high and is factory set, apparently with no way to adjust it, though I have been tempted to tinker. :-P

I can't afford a LA machine. The closest dealer to me that might have a machine to play on first is a good 2+hours away, one way. With gas prices & health issues, I'm not sure I can justify that. I have been looking at a Juki TL-2000Qi vs a Juki TL-2010Q. As I understand it, the machines are nearly identical except for speed control and a couple of extra feet.

My Questions with regards to 2000qi/2010q:

1. Is the price difference worth the money? One dealer's quotes had the 2010 as 100 more than the 2000.

2. How soon will I need to order in a supply of oil? What kind of oil? I've been using the zoom oil (the tech closest to me uses it on all his machines, antique to new commercial embroidery models) on lots of things (machines, fans, etc) and like it. Is it compatible with the Juki? If not, what do you use and where's the most economical place to get it? Most likely I will have to order online.

3. I have a year's supply, unless I really get busy with FMQ, :lol: of sewing machine needles, the normal kind with a flat spot on the head of the needle shank. What needles do I need for a Juki? Yes, I have been trying to research online, but am currently more confused than informed.

4. How many bobbins would you recommend having on hand? I have tons for my sewing machine, but I don't think they are compatible with the Juki as they are for Janome/Brother/Babylock, etc.

5. On the bobbins, I'm thinking all metal works better than cardboard & metal. Do you agree?

6. Outside of a frame, stitch regulator, stylus, and other goodies for a frame set-up, what do I need to get to go with my machine upon purchase other than what comes with it?

7. What dealer would you recommend with the best service & price overall? The Juki is a heavy machine and I have to admit "free shipping" sounds like the way to go. I've been pricing them at Allbrands, SewingMachinesPlus, and Icanhelpsew. The latter is closest to me which is why I was considering her. If I run into a major snag, she is close enough to holler at in person, versus Louisiana or California. None of the dealers are what I consider close. I've contacted a couple of other online dealers this past week and these three are the only ones who bothered to answer. I am going to email Raichert to see what they can do, but haven't as yet.

8. How do you pick an online dealer? Dealer A, B, and C all offer the same package for the same price, and all have good reviews. Which one do you choose and why?

9. If you run across a dealer selling Brand X, saying they are an authorized dealer and can provide warranty coverage, but the Brand X website does not list that dealer on THEIR website, would you order from the dealer anyway?

10. Am I the only one who thinks it's better to email than to call when looking for info? For example, I contacted a sewing place about 3 hours north of me a while back concerning specials and/or used machines. Three days later I got a curt little email saying he was too busy to be bothered answering emails about machines, specials, etc, and I just needed to call the shop. I was a little miffed. Had I wanted to call the shop, I would not have emailed. Why does he have email listed if he doesn't want to answer them? BTW, my voice is soft thanks to cancer surgery back in the day and people on the phone generally can't hear/understand me or they think I'm a kid about 10. Besides, an email is written and isn't just words in the air; words are cheap and not everyone stands behind what they say, quilt shop or not.

If you think I've got a lot to learn, you would be correct. I'm just trying to get the most bang for the buck with the least amount of headaches. Used machines in my neck of the woods are a no go. People generally think they are made of solid gold or platinum and some thing they have diamonds in them, too. :roll:

Thanks for your help, advice, recommendations, experience, and other tidbits. I lurk a lot and have learned tons on this forum.

Happy Quilting!
M&M
Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

i have a JukiTL98Q, an older version of the one you are looking at. I love it for piecing and i use it on my hinterberg frame with the PCQuilter, or the quilter's cruise control. the only reason i'd not use the machine on my frame is if i got a larger machine. good luck.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Check out KathyQuilts.com. I purchased my set up from them. I haven't set it up yet because we are redoing a room to put it in but, Kathy's husband Lynn is always there to answer any questions before and after the sale. They also has a bunch of u tube videos to help you out.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM

You've got intelligent, thoughtful questions here. I agree with you that email is superior to a phone conversation for doing business in the sense that anything can be promised while talking and denied later. I lose my voice a few times per year and have a month or more at a time in which talking is painful and difficult. I'd be wary of someone that refuses to communicate by email. I've heard good things about SewingMachinesPlus and SewVacDirect, but haven't bought from them myself. I do know to avoid SewingMachineOutlet in LA. I ordered something which they didn't have, but they charged me anyway, more than the checkout price by $30+. Then Sammie called to offer me a substitute, which would also cost more. I found a thread on PatternReview about others' similar experiences with shady dealings with him. I've heard nothing but good things about the Juki 98 &2010. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM

I just got a Brother PQ1500S for $599 no tax and free shipping. I looked at several different machines before making my choice. Love the choice I made as it saved me a ton of money!
My machine has a 6 x 9 throat space, straight stitch machine.
They weigh approx 35 pounds, not super heavy but not super light either.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Found this Amazon review that might be helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/JUKI-TL-2000Qi...0334029&sr=8-1

This was the first dealer to come up when I Googled, and I have heard they are pretty reliable:
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/jukitl20...FRHGKgodqzzPZg
Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

I have the Juki TL98-Q and the Juki 2000. I did not get the 2010 with the speed control or 2 reasons. I run mine as fast as it will go (matches my lead foot in car) and I use the 2000 on a frame. I have had the 98 for about 3-4 years and never had a problem. If you do FMQ use a 16 needle. Had numerous problems and that solved all of them on FMQ - got info from gentleman at Allbrands. I bought the 98Q online from Allbrands. The 2000 I bought last month from Kathy'squilts.com along wth the Grace start right frame. The combo was $1699 with free shipping. I love the combo and the Juki machines. As far as oil I use the standard sewing machine oil from Walmart or Joanns. I do not oil every day as I found oil was building up a little too much. I oil when I finish each quilt and sparingly. Too much oil gunks things up. I also clean after every quilt and change my needle frequently. Lint will kill your machines no matter what brand. I simply love these machines. I keep it clean and oiled and in 3-4 years never a problem. If you're worried about buying online buy at ebay from SewVac or Allrbands and pay via paypal. You have paypal safe harbor if anything goes wrong. Oh yeah bobbins. There are generic but get the juki ones. They have a slot in the top to start the thread but the generic ones don't so its hard to hang onto the thread. I have 4 for each machine and so far it's been plenty. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi, Vicky

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the info. I've been using the zoom oil like the mechanic at the LQS uses on his machines when working on them. Actually, I think that oil is pretty neat and I use it on lots of stuff. JMHO. Eventually, Mom and I are planning to get a frame. She likes the Hinterburg (spelling may be wrong) and I haven't decided.

After working in the plant for a while back in the days before cancer, I know well the value of keeping the needle sharp and the machine lint-free. We used to blow our out with a compressor, especially the ladies on the sergers. Don't think compressed air is a good thing due to all the moisture in it, so I usually use a brush or tweezers to get the dust and lint bunnies out. Those suckers multiply like nobody's business if you leave them in there! :lol:
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM

I have purchased from Sewing Machines Plus. Friendly sales staff, excellent customer service. They have payment plans with no interest if paid by a certain time, which was nice. The only draw back with the on-line good dealers like All brands, and Sewing Machines Plus, or SewVac, is the items are shipped to you and you assemble it together.
If you buy locally, they might assemble it and show you how to operate your machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Banned

I quite using the dust when the local service guy said I was just blowing the dirt further into the motor. Not I found q-tips work great. They grab lint like crazy. I did not have to assemble anything on the Juki. Just add the bobbin and set up tension. Here's the frame set up I purchased.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232302.jpe