Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: decisions, decisions

I am in the midst of a new quilt-- of course another scrap, multicolored quilt. I really hate the color green so this time I thought I would push myself and try to use greens. So I did what I usually do and threw about 12 fabrics on the table to see what looked good. The greens were passable. I started and cut out lots of pieces. I made about 6 blocks. I hated the green. I took the green pieces and threw them on the floor and got the green fabric off the table. Boy, did it look better. And now I'm in the mood to do this quilt. And tonight I took those blocks apart, threw away the green pieces and remade them. Now I'm cooking here. Does anyone else go through this or am I the only one who's nuts? Are there any colors you absolutely hate?
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    It seems odd to me to not like green - I love green - I think it's my favourite colour!!
    What I don't like is that shade that beige comes in, you know, that washed out, kinda barely there, beigy shade.
    It bores my eyes.

I'm a fan of green, too, but I can relate - my tolerance for pastels is pretty low.

Plaid....I have a big problem with plaids. Green's not high on my list either....but I'm too lazy to have ripped them out once I started :wink:

I detest the color orange. Don't know why. I like to eat oranges. I love sunsets. I just don't like the color orange. Green, on the other hand, is fine by me!

I used to dislike several colours and avoid them - until I took up p and q, and started to use them, and began to appreciate mixing colours.

Pink is a horrible color in my book. I struggle with it when I make a quilt for a little girl.

Yep, for me it is purples, mostly lavendars that I can't stand.

Blog Entries
    I'm not especially fond of green, either. I have almost none in my stash. The color I never use is brown...dull, dull, dull. :roll:

I like the brights, blues, yellows, and reds. If I had it my way, that's the only colors I would work with. Unfortunately, I make for others and they like the boring things... :evil:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I love all the oldy fashioned faded, washed out, dark repro type fabrics - DH says I need to brighten up a bit and i TRY to make myself buy funky lime - orange etc or even batiks or bright florals but I just can't bring myself too, although I love the quilts posted by others on here using those colours - guess I'm just an old-fashioned girl!

K x

Blog Entries
    I can't say there are any colors that I really HATE...maybe just a shade of a certain color or a certain color combination.....otherwise..I just think if used in the right circumstances.... :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    I used to dislike several colours and avoid them - until I took up p and q, and started to use them, and began to appreciate mixing colours.
    What's p and q?
    cheryl

k3n
    Blog Entries
    patchwork and quilting!

K x

There are colors I struggle with, but there is always some place those colors work! My avatar is out of my comfort zone, but I really like it! :?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony
    I detest the color orange. Don't know why. I like to eat oranges. I love sunsets. I just don't like the color orange. Green, on the other hand, is fine by me!
    I feel the same way and when I had to make fall colors for a block swap it turned out okay. Yucky oranges.

My favorite is green and rose.
    But I like all colors.
    The only fabrics I dont like are the new ultra bright busy confusing combinations I see in the quilt mags now. It is a new trend and I just dont like it. I like to see the pattern in a quilt, not a big bright jumble.

I LOVE green! Hate, hate, hate blue. Too much of it in our home for too long, I think. Joined a swap that required it and had to go buy some as I had NONE in my stash!

I used to have a "brown allergy" but now it's one of my favorite colors, lol.

Pastels would be on my "yuck" list.

Some greens and most purples. I can work with them but I really don't like them. And I can't figure out why.

Blog Entries
    I love greens and golds anything in the fall colors i love but don't care much for those neon colors unless it something for a kid

Viva la difference!!!

I think it is so great that we each have colors that we like and don't like---that's what makes the world go round.

When I look at my stash I can see that there are definitely colors I am drawn to and others I am not. Not a fan of orange--so when I buy it, it is more of a rusty color. Purple-not big in my book-the little bit I have leans towards plum. I like pink just fine, but have very little in my stash--I think it is because my daughter (who is 26) LOVES pink and all the pink I buy seems to make its way to her house!! I am drawn towards navy blue, deep golds and reds, dark green (though I like green, there are not many green fabrics I like) and brown. I love CW repros. I am a very dull girl :cry:

Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!
    I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
    Cheryl

I love greens and purples and blues and pinks. I am not a big fan or orange but have used it quite successfully in small amounts. I am a fan of cool colors. What I don't like a whole lot are the warm red, like brick, don't have a lot of browns, oranges, antique golds, also I do not like using a solid fabric in my quilts. I prefer clear colors as opposed to the washed out, antiqued ones.

I love how we all have different tastes!!! This world would be such a boring place if everyone liked the same things. I love all the variety and have made lots of quilts using my "not so favorite" colors. Sometimes it's amazing how great one of "those" colors will look in a quilt sometimes.

I don't like browns... doing my Dad's quilt took me forever because I didn't want to look at those colors..

I love all light pastel colors. MY DH trys to get me to use more vibrant shades. I don't care for purple or orange very much although I'm making a fall mystery quilt. I love that we all have such different taste in colors.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast