Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: decisions, decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    My favorite is green and rose.
    But I like all colors.
    The only fabrics I dont like are the new ultra bright busy confusing combinations I see in the quilt mags now. It is a new trend and I just dont like it. I like to see the pattern in a quilt, not a big bright jumble.

...and here lies quiltncrazy...lover of all colors, as long as they are not throwed together in a jumble. If any color, green orange, brown, pastels, you name it...used in the right combinationan and balance...anything can be beautiful. I could say I love cottage quilts, or country like Lynette Jensen's stuff, some is fab-u-lous....oh, this thread has pushed a button for me...I LOVE IT ALL...just don't do the hodge-podgey contemporary types. Maybe it's my visual problems or to me, some of it, is like heavy metal music....NOISEY...sorry all those that like it...I like brights, iridescents,...vintage...30's stuff if nice pattern...love embroidered things, applique...crazy patch...I know some think that is a jumble...don't think I would do crumbs, bc that is the crazy quilting without the beautiful embellishments. i love details. LOVE Paula Vaughn, but the question was, do you hate some colors. uh...nope, can't say that I do. :D but I respect the rights of those that do...just don't hate mine when I ever get to post, ok...lie to me, lie to me, LOL!!!!

fab i love details. LOVE Paula Vaughn, but the question was, do you hate some colors. uh...nope, can't say that I do. :D but I respect the rights of those that do...just don't hate mine when I ever get to post, ok...lie to me, lie to me, LOL!!!![/quote]

I can honestly say I have never lied on here about my opinion of someone's work. And others have produced quilts with green and I have loved them. But for some reason, I can't seem to do it myself.
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by rismstress
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!
    I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
    Cheryl
    I'm joining you regarding the batiks. I always think they look like the pattern 'ran'. I guess there is just 3 of us who don't like them. :D

fab i love details. LOVE Paula Vaughn, but the question was, do you hate some colors. uh...nope, can't say that I do. :D but I respect the rights of those that do...just don't hate mine when I ever get to post, ok...lie to me, lie to me, LOL!!!!
    I can honestly say I have never lied on here about my opinion of someone's work. And others have produced quilts with green and I have loved them. But for some reason, I can't seem to do it myself.
    Cheryl[/quote]

you know what, I just realized that although I do love all colors, in what my mind thinks is a good combination...i don't like just any old shape. I think flying geese is a fantastic accent, but get too many geese together...and I go quackers! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!
    I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
    Cheryl
    I'm joining you regarding the batiks. I always think they look like the pattern 'ran'. I guess there is just 3 of us who don't like them. :D
    well, I will say that some ppl have a gift for using them, but many ppl don't. In MHO...but, I think it can be a very nice accent and I am going to do something next month using some. It will be my first batik project.
    All said, it is not at the top of my list. I have a good book on landscape quilts and I think batiks will be smashing for that. It's ok, to have preferences, and life is too short to spend time on things that just don't do it for you...so if you already have stuff you don't like, put it on the back side of things, or give away, but if it makes your motor hum to toss it, well...just don't make me saaay it, lol! :wink:

Blog Entries
    fab i love details. LOVE Paula Vaughn, but the question was, do you hate some colors. uh...nope, can't say that I do. :D but I respect the rights of those that do...just don't hate mine when I ever get to post, ok...lie to me, lie to me, LOL!!!!
    Cheryl[/quote]

I love Paula Vaughn, too! I have completed many of her cross-stitch patterns with the flower bouquets or the quilts....

I too struggle to work with greens. However, I know why. Growing up the house my parent purchased was painted in the inside avcocado green. After living there about six years that is the color of siding they had put up. Up until my husband acquired his company car in a dark forest green, I hated green. Still have problems working with it. However, I have found that in small doses I can put up with it and make something nice. :P

I love Sashiko, but I'm afraid my hand quilting is not up to snuff to do that.[/quote]

What is sashiko?
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    I love Sashiko, but I'm afraid my hand quilting is not up to snuff to do that.
    Sashiko is Japanese embroidery. It started out as a way to mend and reinforce worn out fabric to make it last longer. I took a class last year and here's the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    Sashiko is Japanese embroidery. It started out as a way to mend and reinforce worn out fabric to make it last longer. I took a class last year and here's the result.
    THAT'S HANDWORK??? It's gorgeous !!

Beautiful work Hulahoop. Our guild had a speaker a couple of months ago that does a lot of shashiko. She showed us some beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Beautiful work Hulahoop. Our guild had a speaker a couple of months ago that does a lot of shashiko. She showed us some beautiful work.
    Thank you. It was fun to do, took me 3 weeks, and I had some really sore fingers!

Do you have a stamped patern to go by?

I think we all have to be at least a little nuts to be making quilts. But we love each other anyway.

I have a tough time with yellow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Ruth
    Do you have a stamped patern to go by?
    We had to trace the patterns onto each block. Most are traditional Japanese patterns, but there are some that aren't -- like the iris and the meandering pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    Wow!! Those are gorgeous.

I don't mind green at all. I am really drawn to earth tones and love browns, golds, oranges, rust and greens of course. My least favourite colours are red and pink. I doubt very much that I will ever make a quilt with those colours. I always try to pick different colours to make new quilts so that they won't all start to look the same. I really like batiks and I am making a quilt with batiks right now.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971
    I don't mind green at all. I am really drawn to earth tones and love browns, golds, oranges, rust and greens of course. My least favourite colours are red and pink. I doubt very much that I will ever make a quilt with those colours. I always try to pick different colours to make new quilts so that they won't all start to look the same. I really like batiks and I am making a quilt with batiks right now.
    welcome to the board canmitch. You like the harvest colors, like one of my girls. I really like them too, but, alas, I do love those pinks and reds. But it will be fun to see your stuff. I bought a book by Lynette Jenkins and opened up a whole range of possibilities for me in your preference range. quilting is so much fun, bc the sky's the limit. :D

oops, that's lynette jensen...i'm always doing that, lol! :wink:

I dislike Olive Green! But when I decided to do the Christmas Pickle quilt from Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith's book, Home for the Holidays, I made myself include all greens, regardless! I spent about a year picking up fat quarters until I had over 60 green prints. Not a single batik or hand dyed in the bunch. I ended up using 59 of those prints. (See attached) The photo color may be a tiny bit off - a bit blue-ish I think.
    Now if you look in my stash, it looks like I'm in love with green, but it's really just a lot of leftovers from that quilt. I have used up some of the uglier prints by "wrapping" Christmas gifts for co-workers. I cut large circles with pinking shears, gathered up around the gift, and tied with red ribbon.
    But back to the subject of color, my favorites are the colors of fall, sorry girls, even those dreaded oranges. After many years and many projects I finally decided I had enough fall fabrics for a quilt, so here is my Krazy for Fall quilt (see atteached). Rather than do the traditional embroidery, I let the fabric do the talking. I guess it's a Lazy Krazy quilt. The pic was taken before it was quilted. No, it's not a stack & whack; Yes, it is foundation pieced. I haven't bound it yet.
    This is my first time for attaching pictures...cross your fingers!

Christmas Pickle (NY Beauty var.)
    Name:  Attachment-26928.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  90.6 KB

Krazy for Fall
    Name:  Attachment-26929.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  71.2 KB

Wow, that fall quilt is an eye-opener; the Christmas pickles are delicious. Both are fantastic!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I've always hated RED ad my Mum thot white blonde haired little girls looked GREAT in red. Funny tho, now that I am "ah-hum" OLDER, I am more RED tolerant. My FAV color is burgundy - go figure...

[quote=jdavis]I dislike Olive Green! But when I decided to do the Christmas Pickle quilt from Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith's book, Home for the Holidays, I made myself include all greens, regardless! I spent about a year picking up fat quarters until I had over 60 green prints. Not a single batik or hand dyed in the bunch. I ended up using 59 of those prints. (See attached) The photo color may be a tiny bit off - a bit blue-ish I think.

Now this is a green I could love. Your quilt is simply delicious!!
    Cheryl

I don't mind greens or oranges at all, if they are in the right arrangement.
    Speaking of arrangements, I am surprised that I really like your pickle quilt. I usually go for thinking with...I like samplers and appliques especially, but I really like this. Don't know If I would be brave enough to do one, but yours looks great.
    I also like your fall quilt, and I think orange can be a great contrasting color in some quilts. One of the top designers, can't recall her name right now, always quilts with orange thread, bc she believes it gives a little something something to it. I think it could be very interesting. I think we grow when we try knew things. Good for you, that you conquered your green aversion and look at your reward.
    Btw, I am not a big fan of olive, but think with either pink or yellow, could be very pretty, believe it or not. :wink:

I love that Pickle Quilt! It's pretty!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast