Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: decisions, decisions

Quote Originally Posted by crispyquilts
    Pink is a horrible color in my book. I struggle with it when I make a quilt for a little girl.
    Horrors! Pink is a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I had a [color= deeppink] pink[/color] Princess phone in my [color= deeppink] pink[/color] bedroom with the [color= deeppink] pink[/color] shaggy area rugs and the [color= deeppink] pink[/color] chenille bedspread. :lol:

I didn't do brights. I was all about pastels and flowers until my friend and fellow quilter (who has since retied to AZ) encouraged me to work outside the box. I purposely bought fat quarters of [color= green2] BRIGHTS[/color] and used them to make a tote bag. It surprised me how much I liked the outcome, and now I use brights (or at least buy them) a lot.

I haven't gotten that far with browns or oranges. Reminds me of the 60s, which was a great era, but browns and oranges just don't do a thing for me. :(

don't like orange.....bought some just cause it was a great buy but it stares at me .....as I ponder what to make with it.....just don't care for it....what goes with orange.....????????......:-)

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    don't like orange.....bought some just cause it was a great buy but it stares at me .....as I ponder what to make with it.....just don't care for it....what goes with orange.....????????......:-)
    I am not an orange fan, but it went perfect in the baby quilt I put together this weekend. I also once made a quilt with greens and orange for one of the college students who hangs at our house and though I had a hard time with the oranges, it turned out really nice and she was absolutely thrilled with the quilt. Green and orange and frogs are her favorite colors and animal and that's what the quilt was.

Quote Originally Posted by rismstress
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Another one I don't like (and I'm probably the only one) is batiks! I just can't stand them in any color!
    I don't like batiks either- I'm too traditional. And I thought I was the only one who didn't like them.
    Cheryl
    Here I thought it was just me! A friend makes a batik block of the month every year. I guess it's okay, but I would trade out all those batiks for some traditional fabric anytime!!

I struggle, because of my eyesight, with things that can read red. Orange and pink are my two biggest problem colors followed by coral, peach...those kind of tones. Just can't tell what color they are.

Someone was talking about that bled out beige color...I don't like that either. I like browns, but I try to stay away from that weird beige.

I love the color green. My problem is that it seems hard to get a pretty color of green in material. You can either get olive, mint or UGLY patterns of green. In every other color it seems that there are 5 or 6 that I would love if I had a use for that color. When I get to the greens, forget it. Either the shade of green is ugly or the pattern in the green is horrendous!

Manufacturers please take note!! :D :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have loads of greens in my stash but if i want a few greens for a project, it seems none of them go with each other, there are so many different tones! Oh well, just have to go buy more! LOL

K x

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinLee
    I love the color green. My problem is that it seems hard to get a pretty color of green in material. You can either get olive, mint or UGLY patterns of green. In every other color it seems that there are 5 or 6 that I would love if I had a use for that color. When I get to the greens, forget it. Either the shade of green is ugly or the pattern in the green is horrendous!

Manufacturers please take note!! :D :D
    Maybe the greens I was trying to use were just too ugly. LOL
    Cheryl

Banned
    I hate some stuff when I would actually remove it, (I gave the block away instead ;) ) I love green though.

there are colors i'm not fond of, but i hate the light browns. you may call them beige or cream or off-white or winter white, but to me they all look like dirty white. i know, sometimes i have to use one, but i really hate doing it, and will try to substitute any other color, especially black, if i possibly can.

i fill in with white-on-white most of the time.

I, also, do not like green. However, browns and oranges are also non-existant in my stash. I use those colors only when I am doing an applique block and have no choice. I like to use bright colors and occassionally really stetch myself and use a pastel.

No ripping for me. File 13 is easier.

Barbie

I like most colors....except BRIGHT orange, Royal BLue and some dark purples. However, there are shades of those colors I like..for example apricot or peach, deep blue or pale blue, lilac and orchid....so in a sense I think it is usually not the color but rather the shade of some colors that I find objectionable. I lean heavily towards soft rose, green and pale gold colors, love off white and cream with them.

Margie

Poor orange is getting the short end of the stick. Orange is my favorite color and has been since I was a little girl. Everyone always looks at me weird when I say I love orange, but I do. I also love reds and greens. I suppose I'm not too big a fan of pastels but when I see quilts with pastels I think they are beautiful but would never pick those colors myself.

I am in the midst of a new quilt-- of course another scrap, multicolored quilt. I really hate the color green so this time I thought I would push myself and try to use greens. So I did what I usually do and threw about 12 fabrics on the table to see what looked good. The greens were passable. I started and cut out lots of pieces. I made about 6 blocks. I hated the green. I took the green pieces and threw them on the floor and got the green fabric off the table. Boy, did it look better. And now I'm in the mood to do this quilt. And tonight I took those blocks apart, threw away the green pieces and remade them. Now I'm cooking here. Does anyone else go through this or am I the only one who's nuts? Are there any colors you absolutely hate?
    Cheryl
    Cheryl, why work on something you know you don't like. I know, trying to branch out, but life is too short. Just think of all the colors that you DO like. Work with those.

I went fabric shopping today at our new LQS. Guess what I was looking for. GREENS. I saw so many that I liked, I told the owner I'd be back for her sale. And I also told her to call me if a certain piece was selling fast and would be gone before I return on the 20th. She said she'd call me and keep some for me. What a dear!! Blues and greens and any color in between (aquas) are my favorites. Isn't it great that God made us all different. It makes for an interesting world.

What is your favorite color?

[Blues and greens and any color in between (aquas) are my favorites. Isn't it great that God made us all different. It makes for an interesting world.

What is your favorite color?[/quote]

I have lots of favorite colors-- black, white, aqua, blue, pink, red, purple, lavender, cranberry. I also like to see a few touches of yellow- certain shades, and I love the neutrals. I have used the wrong side of fabrics at times to get the shade I want. Green- now that's another story. I have used it sometimes but hardly and there are so many shades of it that I hate-- it's like brown-- a non use color for me.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    I will avoid yellows like the plague! (and oranges are not too far behind). Then I find myself gravitating toward blues and teals every time. ARRGH!

I am also a non-green person. We did a St. Patrick's Day activity at my guild last week and I needed some green fabrics. I shopped in my stash and found only a very few greens that were not Christmas fabrics. I came home from the meeting with 8 green fat quarters...all different. Now my green stash is larger, but I have no plans for the new fabrics. Anyone looking at my fabric cupboards, would notice that I have lots and lots of reds, blues, pinks and purples. Only a little bit of yellow, brown and orange. I have recently increased my supply of black & white fabrics as I made some tote bags and a pieced jacket with over 60 different b & w fabrics.

Wendy

Blog Entries
    I'll take the green and any other color you or anybody else wants to throw out or get rid of; I LOVE color! Let me know and I will pay for postage. Thanks, GiGi

I like the green pink combinations.... but haven't really worked with them... It is hard to work with colors you are not fond of.... whatever works for you... quilter 1234

I am supposed to be using plaid on this years BOM at LQS. I did my first block, hated it. I made a new one using a floral. Now I love it. I like my sis's in plaid and other's there--just not mine. We don't know what she is going to give us each month either so it was really hard for me to get into it.

Don't feel bad. Just think about how many choices there are,. and it would be odd to love them all. I'm with you that green and orange sometimes seem garish to me. That is the beauty of quilting, with so many choices, there is something for everyone and we could never use every single variety of fabric available. If you don't like green just think of how many colors, styles, etc. that you do love and buy it and piece it and sew it and love every minute. Don't we have a fabulous hobby. Enjoyed your post.

I pretty well like all colors. I just like color when it comes to fabric. I do have a preference for bright colors. I could do without brown and beige, but if I have the fabric, I'm going to figure out some way to use it, no matter what the color. In fact, if I don't particularly like a certain fabric, I'm more likely to use it, just to get it out of my stash.

I hate orange, I like some greens but definitely not lime, I also have a problem with yellow that has a lot orange in it. I love pastels, oriental fabrics and don't have any problem with dark colors. In fact I love prints with black, purple and navy as the background and the 1930's prints. Most geometrics drive me up the wall. In general, I don't like colors or patterns that scream at me. I like stuff that's restful to the eye. Guess I'm pretty picky. :twisted: I guess we all go with what seems to suit our personality. I love Sashiko, but I'm afraid my hand quilting is not up to snuff to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    there are colors i'm not fond of, but i hate the light browns. you may call them beige or cream or off-white or winter white, but to me they all look like dirty white. i know, sometimes i have to use one, but i really hate doing it, and will try to substitute any other color, especially black, if i possibly can.

i fill in with white-on-white most of the time.
    I prefer the beigy off whites to the whites. I suppose it's because in our area we have problems with water and most of our whites turn out to be off white or beigy white :lol: . I do love the neutrals -- and there are as many of those as there are hairs on my head. Don't remember which thread I saw this pretty neutral patchwork as a background and appliqued florals over it. Very pretty.

I know what you mean about the different tones of greens. It's the same with the blues, the reds, the yellows, the browns, the blacks, etc. I like the greens that have a little blue in it. Of course, in the seventies, I liked the olives. And those are back in vogue today.

I have never avoided using any one color when quilting, there are some colors that I won't wear but I find that limits me when I am quilt to try and void a color, I have been quilting and not liked what something looked like when I was putting it together, I pushed on anyway and ended up loving the final product. You may just have to do the same and see what the final product looks like. You may be surprised. I do admit I have a hard time buying certain colors to start with, Like neutrals, I am better now, especially since I ended up having to go out and looking for them specifically to work on something.

I am in the midst of a new quilt-- of course another scrap, multicolored quilt. I really hate the color green so this time I thought I would push myself and try to use greens. So I did what I usually do and threw about 12 fabrics on the table to see what looked good. The greens were passable. I started and cut out lots of pieces. I made about 6 blocks. I hated the green. I took the green pieces and threw them on the floor and got the green fabric off the table. Boy, did it look better. And now I'm in the mood to do this quilt. And tonight I took those blocks apart, threw away the green pieces and remade them. Now I'm cooking here. Does anyone else go through this or am I the only one who's nuts? Are there any colors you absolutely hate?
    Cheryl
    omgoodness!!! yikes, can't say I ever hated a fabric and threw away :cry: sorry, yours to do with at will...poor will...lol...ah, hurts ma feelins...poor greens...lol...got a visual here...you must be quite passionate bout what you love and hate rimstress! :wink:
    ya know you can throw in a bag and use as stuffing. lots of uses for those 'homely' fabrics....no, lol, i didn't say stuff the garbage can. let me go read rest of post. :wink:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast