Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with making a pillow case

Blog Entries
    A friend and co-worker is having surgery in a couple weeks. I am making a pillow case for a pillow she just bought. The size of the pillow is 16x22. I asked her the shape and she said it was flat. I haven't seen the pillow and will be giving her the case tomorrow. It will be a coordinating pillow to a quilt I made her a few years ago.

I am using a fleece for the pillow case. It is a very soft fleece and almost stretchy. Kind of like minky but furry and not knobby.

What size should I cut the fabric before sewing? One site said to add 2 inches to the side and 6 to the top and 4 inches for the hem. Will this be enough if I use a 1/2 inch seam?

If fabric is not prewashed, I would add extra inches to take into consideration shrinkage. An extra 4inches to the side might be better. Good Luck to your co-worker.

Blog Entries
    Fleece doesn't shrink so you wouldn't need to add any extra for that.

The Missouri quilt company has a tube tut that is quick and easy. The body of the case was 27 inches, 9 for the cuff and 2 for the, not sure what she called it but it goes between the cuff and body of the case. Whether the pillow is flat or not, should fit fine in this one.

That's an odd size.

Fabric needed to make a case for standard sized pillows:

12" pillow - 12"x28"
    14" pillow - 14"x32"
    15" pillow - 15"x24"
    16" pillow - 16"x36"
    18" pillow - 18"x40"

It's probably too late to help you, but thought you could tweak the 15" pillow measurement to fit your 16x22 size. And if your fleece is a little stretchy, be sure the stretch is running along the width of the pillow, not the length, or it will grow.