Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with math....please

Blog Entries

Need help with math....please

Hi everyone. I am in need of just a tee bit of help here. I think I know the answer...but want to make sure I am right BEFORE cutting.

I have 2 one yard peices of batik fabric. I want to cut it up into 5 x 5 inch squares. The fabric is 42 inches wide.

Is this how I need to figure out how to cut it so that I can get the most squares?

36" x 42" =1512 inches for ONE yard. Now since I am wanting 5" x 5" squares....I want to multiply the 5X5 to get 25. Now do I take that 1512 and divide it by the 25 to get 60 squares out of ONE YARD of fabric?

So that would be 7 5inch strips per yard?

I think I am right...but just want to make sure as I don't want to blow it when I go to cut it as there is nothing to replace it with. Thanks for your help.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Square inches help in estimating whether you have enough fabric, but it is only an estimate because the shapes you want don't always go into the fabric evenly. In this case, you can get 8 5" squares in one WOF, assuming that 40" of the width is actually usable. (It may not be - remember you can't use the selvages.) In one yard you can hopefully get 7 strips, but again, if the fabric is not cut straight that may not be possible. So, if you can do the above, then you will get 8*7=56 squares MAXIMUM in each yard of fabric.

Now, do you really want 5" squares, or is that the finished size? If it's the finished size, then you want to cut 5.5" squares, and that reduces the number you will get.

I am not a math whiz but I agree that you will get 7 5in strips for the width of fabric, but you will only get 8 squares from each 5 inch strip. So the total number of squares would only be 56 instead of 60 from each yard.

This is how I usually do my math:

5X 8= 40 with 2 inches left. (width of fabric was 42)

1 yard= 36 inches= 5 X7 =35 with 1 inch left

8 (number of blocks in a row) X 7 (number of rows you have in 1yd)=56 blocks from one yard.

56 X 2 (because you have 2 1yrd pieces)= 112 blocks

I hope this was clear!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    42 in / 5 in = 8 (8.4 rnd down)
    36 in / 5 in = 7 (7.2 rnd down)
    and so 56--5 inch squares

42 in / 5.5 in = 7 (7.6 rnd down)
    36 in / 5.5 in = 6 (6.45 rnd down)
    and so 42--5.5 inch squares

the square inch solution does not work as you have partial squares at the end of each row...remember, also trim off both selvedges...this will not affect the results as you have a bit extra on each side, trim first, then cut the squares. this is for 1 pc...double for the 2 pcs that you mentioned.
    Last edited by deemail; 12-09-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone. My neighbor girl lives on $381 a month on her unemployment and has 2 kids. A two year old girl and a 5 year old boy. Her mom is her best friend. Since my friend can't afford to buy her mom a gift, and my friend just feels so bad about it and I have told her that her mom understands and does not expect anything and that just her love and the love of the kids is all that is needed. So, secretly without the mom knowing, I want to make just a small throw blanket to give to my friend so that she can give it to her mom from her and the kids for Christmas. It won't be anything fancy thats for sure. But I think it will make my friend feel better to know that she can give her mom something. I am also going to teach her how to make homemade candies this weekend. In a way its like a PIF to someone that really really could use something like this in her life right now. My husband and I bought the kids a couple of gifts too so there will be at least a couple of things under the tree.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

that is very thoughtful of you to help her like that.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Very thoughtful. Merry Christmas to YOU!

That is so nice of you to help her and her family out. I'm sure that she will really appreciate all that you are doing.

That is so kind of you, you will be blessed.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast