Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need help with math (quilting related, I promise)

My block backgrounds are 9 x 13 (unfinished) and I need 30 of them. How much yardage do I need to buy? I used to be so good at math, but I'm having a brain freeze. Can anyone help me?

I'm figuring 2.5 yds. You will get 3 across 42 inches of fabric and need 9" down so that is 10 strips 9" deep. 90" of fabric is 2.5 yds. That doesn't seem too clear. I guess that's why I am a nurse and not a teacher. lol
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I come up with 2 yds also. I would get 3 yards for good measure. I always over buy on purpose.

You will need 2.5 yards if you cut 9" wide strips and then cut the strips down to your 9" x 13" blocks, that would yield 3 blocks per strip. That doesn't leave room to make sure the grain is straight so if you can afford it I would do 2.75 or even 3 yards if you really like the fabric.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Off the JoAnn's.

If you want the 13" to be lengthwise of the fabric, you will get 4 blocks across. 13 1/2" = 3/8 yard. So 3 yards is enough even if you cut the blocks lengthwise instead of crosswise.