Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help With Polyester Thread

I normally use 100% cotton thread but I found a bargain on some Superior Brytes polyester thread. I used it on my long arm and quilted two really nice throws; then I readied to machine bind them on my home Janome machine with the same thread. I practiced on some remnant fabrics and readjusted the tension a bit to satisfaction. Then I went to work on the first throw. I sewed about 8 inches and it looked great....but then it started looping and made quite a mess. I thought the thread may have 'jumped the track' as it progressed...so I ripped out the 'bad threads', rethreaded the machine, and started again with the same disappointing results. I am now ripping out again. Anyone else have experience with Superior Brytes who can offer instruction, suggestions, or condolences????

could be the needle. If all else fails, you could always email Bob at Superior Threads, he's awesome. Also on their website they have a fabulous chart for their threads, with ideal needle size and tensions. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by leggz48
    I normally use 100% cotton thread but I found a bargain on some Superior Brytes polyester thread. I used it on my long arm and quilted two really nice throws; then I readied to machine bind them on my home Janome machine with the same thread. I practiced on some remnant fabrics and readjusted the tension a bit to satisfaction. Then I went to work on the first throw. I sewed about 8 inches and it looked great....but then it started looping and made quite a mess. I thought the thread may have 'jumped the track' as it progressed...so I ripped out the 'bad threads', rethreaded the machine, and started again with the same disappointing results. I am now ripping out again. Anyone else have experience with Superior Brytes who can offer instruction, suggestions, or condolences????

that could be -- your machine bobbin area needs to be cleaned out- a lint build up- or your needle needs to be replaced---or sometimes some threads just do not want to work in some machines. my viking is the pickiest machine i've ever owned---i can use a thread with great success on the long arm- use the same thread again with great success on the vintage singer---load that thread on the viking- and have nothing but aggrivation until i finally accept the fact the machine just does not like it! once i switch thread everything is good again-
    but start with a cleaning- new needle- rethread & put the bobbin back in (sometimes trying a different thread in the bobbin helps too)
    if all else fails- try a different thread- if that fixes it- then make note that thread does not work in that machine- and move on---sometimes there is just nothing else to do.

Thanks; I'll give it another try after following all your directions above.