Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help in Sandwiching quilt >

Need help in Sandwiching quilt

Need help in Sandwiching quilt

Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM

I am doing a twin size quilt and my backing is sort of puckering. The quilt is larger than the table I have to work on so I laid the backing centered in the table with excess hanging down. I used large brown binder clips to hold the backing down and stretched it slightly. I then sprayed basted the backing and smoothed the batting onto the backing. Then I added the top and pined as much as I could that was on the table. Then it was time to move the "quilt" so I could pin the other areas. I unclipped the backing and moved the quilt. I clipped the backing that was not pinned to the table. Now my question- Do you have to pin/clip the sandwiched quilt all the way around to prevent puckering on the part you still have left to pin? Understand?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM

I would think you would need to have it all 'anchored' in order to get the same tension on the part you are now working on as the first part you did.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Can you place a large flat sheet on the floor and spray baste the sandwich that way? That is how most people do it.

I guess I do not understand why you are spray basting the backing and pinning the top.

I don't like to stretch the backing fabric at all, whether spray basting or pinning. Stretching allows the backing fabric to "spring" back when the clips are removed. It is only necessary to smooth the backing fabric, not stretch it. I'm thinking that the puckering you are seeing in the backing fabric now is probably from this, which means that you now need to stretch the backing fabric again until the puckers are gone. This means clamping the already finished portion of the quilt to one side of the table, then stretching and clamping the remaining backing fabric to the other side.

So, the short answer (if I am understanding your question correctly) is that yes, you do have to anchor the quilt all the way around for each section.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't like to stretch the backing fabric at all, whether spray basting or pinning. Stretching allows the backing fabric to "spring" back when the clips are removed.
I think of it as pulling the backing fabric taut without stretching. If I "just" smooth it out, I always have puckers when done. Guess there is a fine line to get it right, huh?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM

I have used the method you describe & yes you need to smooth out secure each section with the clips before pinning. I don't understand why you are using the spray basting with this method. Pinning is enough to secure the sandwich for quilting.

However, I do prefer the floor method. Lay backing - taping it to the floor, lay batting, then top. Smooth each layer out before adding the next & then start pinning from the center out. I have the least waste of batting using this method as it is easy to line up 2 sides & then cut off extra on 3rd & 4th sides by putting my cutting mat between backing & batting, line up & trim using ruler & rotary cutter.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Sharon Shamber's quilt basting method works. A friend at the retreat basted two quilts using this method and they're perfect when you get done and don't shift at all.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think of it as pulling the backing fabric taut without stretching. If I "just" smooth it out, I always have puckers when done. Guess there is a fine line to get it right, huh?
I heavily starch my backing fabric before layering. That may make difference also.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

I always did mine on the floor, but I did have to tape it all around the edges.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 PM

I spray basted the backing to the batting thinking that the batting would not slip when I smoothed out the top. I do not think that I can crawl around the floor. Question- do you need to stretch the backing or just keep it tight ?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 AM

Backing shound not be "stretched" - just smoothed out with no wrinkles & then secured with the clips if using a table. Same goes for batting & top.

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I spray basted the backing to the batting thinking that the batting would not slip when I smoothed out the top. I do not think that I can crawl around the floor. Question- do you need to stretch the backing or just keep it tight ?