Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need  help from someone smarter than me! >

Need help from someone smarter than me!

Need help from someone smarter than me!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I wasn't kidding. ALL advice is welcome!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM

Hmmm, I'm a little confused. Can you just top stitch it? If not sandwiched why can't you put right side together and sew? Sorry, don't think I'm much help.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM

You have it matched and folded. Press the seam good. Really good. Then pin it carefully as you open it flat. You then stitch on the ironed line.

I hope this makes sense. I have done it many times and it usually works.

You can also baste it first to make sure it lines up right.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I have gotten a lot of good advice and I thank all of you! I love this board. You can ALWAYS get the help you need. I also remembered the advice given someone else.... don't expect perfection. No one but God is perfect. I was so caught up in the MATCHING that I almost forgot the joy of giving. THANKS. :-D
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im lost.. :-(
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Im lost.. :-(
Oh, no. We can't have that! She is trying to splice two pieces of fabric together so that they look like one. She has lined up the fabric and now wants to stitch them. However, turning them to stitch can get them out of alignment.

My suggestion was to line it up (which she has done) and press really good, Then open gently and place a pin to hold the fabrics in place. Pin generously to keep in place, and sew on the cease made by the ironing.

Clear as mud?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyB
My suggestion was to line it up (which she has done) and press really good, Then open gently and place a pin to hold the fabrics in place. Pin generously to keep in place, and sew on the cease made by the ironing.

That should work.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 AM

As I was posting last night I knew I had seen this issue addressed before. Finally remembered that I saw it in directions for making wide curtains. There's a discussion here --- http://www.alternative-windows.com/matching-fabric.htm.

You might also consider piecing your fabric as shown here ---http://sewing.about.com/od/beddingan...bedspread.htm. I think this is standard bedspread construction. I probably would not worry about matching these seams, I've seen bedspreads where the fabric does not match across these seams.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 AM

No, I'm not smarter than a fifth grader - oops - no I'm not smarter than you! LOL

I'm just going to toss out an idea. Hand baste 1/8 inch seam. That way you can keep checking alignment. If it's where you want it, then do your 1/4" seam. Then remove your hand basting.

Another thought, just trim off a couple of inches and make it look like the rest of it where the corners don't meet?

My DMIL gave us a cheater cloth quilt a while back. The center was the width of the fabric, then she divided the fabric in half length wise and added to each side of the center using piping to divide the fabric. Then she took it to a long arm quilter and had a meandering stitch over all of it. It's really pretty.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM

You could use a narrow blind hem stitch on the front so that the straight part of the blind stitch was on the underneath fabric, and the zigzag part of the stitch was on the top which you have matched to the bottom. Then press it, and carefully turn it over, open and stitch along the fold with a regular straight stitch. The blind stitch would be just about invisible on the top, but if it mattered, you could snip them.