Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding

I hate them!! Everytime it gets close to binding, I break out in a cold sweat. If I machine sew it it makes a seam on. If I machine sew with bottom up, ofcoarse a new seam! Right now I am hand sewing on the binding, which is no east trick I am telling you. Hours of it
    I am a self taught for 5 years. Just learning from magazines and the internet
    Thanks
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Some quilts I sew it on the back, bring it to the front and use a decorative stitch looks good from both sides.:)

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Some quilts I sew it on the back, bring it to the front and use a decorative stitch looks good from both sides.:)
    Me too!! Much easier, quicker and I get to use some of my fancy stitches!! :wink:

If you machine stitch it on to the top & hand stitch it to the back it should cover the seam. Have you tried the ladder stitch - tutorials online for this method - slick & invisible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    If you machine stitch it on to the top & hand stitch it to the back it should cover the seam. Have you tried the ladder stitch - tutorials online for this method - slick & invisible.
    I just completed my quilt using this method and it worked slick. Thanks eveyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cbw431
    I hate them!! Everytime it gets close to binding, I break out in a cold sweat. If I machine sew it it makes a seam on. If I machine sew with bottom up, ofcoarse a new seam! Right now I am hand sewing on the binding, which is no east trick I am telling you. Hours of it
    I am a self taught for 5 years. Just learning from magazines and the internet
    Thanks
    Cheryl
    It sounds like you're not cutting your binding wide enough. I cut my 2-1/2 inches for most quilts.

I was afraid of binding but it was because of the mitred corners, I just didn't know how to do them. I signed up for a class, it was the best $15 and 2 hours ever spent! I get compliments and people ask me to show them how to miter their corners, too. Once you learn and master a technique, it gives you an empowering confidence in your abilities. Knowledge is power, it is important to learn at least one new thing each day.

Would love to have you give us a tut. on that!

quote=jdiane318]I was afraid of binding but it was because of the mitred corners, I just didn't know how to do them. I signed up for a class, it was the best $15 and 2 hours ever spent! I get compliments and people ask me to show them how to miter their corners, too. Once you learn and master a technique, it gives you an empowering confidence in your abilities. Knowledge is power, it is important to learn at least one new thing each day.[/quote]

http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/.../binding-tips/
    Try this....It is the only way I do it now and it is really easy.

so many people hate binding i think of it as the end of the journey is almost here. LOL

Sew my binding on back by machine and hand stitch to the front. I kind of enjoy it because it's a no brainer and I can sit and watch television while I do the stitching.

I know that feeling...press on...the more you do it, the more you will like it! It is now my favorite part of the whole process! Could be because it's THE END!

Banned
    look at my video on www.quilterstv.com. It is under Quilters Cafe and Holice Turnbow and binding. Am told the instructions are clear and easy

Thank you so much! Lots and lots of advise!

:) :) :) Thanks so much!

thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterGary
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    I just completed my quilt using this method and it worked slick. Thanks eveyone for the advice.

I learned the ladder stitch just yesterday! Thanks!